Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl cmd to remove the control-Z character at end of 10GB file Post 302560459 by itkamaraj on Friday 30th of September 2011 12:14:59 AM
Old 09-30-2011
try this
Code:

perl -i -pe '$_=~s/^Z// if eof' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control character in a file

Hi All, I am looking for a solution to capture any ASCII control character in a file ( where the ASCII control character is in decimal value from 0 to 31 and 127 ( Hex value from 00 to 1F and 7F ) ) by returning any affected lines. The intended good file should contain "ASCII printable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cursive
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl RegExp to remove last character from strings

I use SAS (a statistical software) and have to remove last character or the last 1/2 numbers that appear after characters from the string using Perl Regular Expression (which is recognized by SAS). Input: f183ii10 f183ii2 f182ii1 f182ii2 f183iim f22ii f22ii11 f22ii12 pmh4 pmhm Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ospreyeagle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove parenthesis character (Perl)

Hello, i'm unable to remove the parenthesis character. With $parsed_AsciiName =~ s/\(//; the string is the same And with $parsed_AsciiName =~ s/(//; i retrieve "Unmatched ( in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/( <-- HERE" Any ideas, please? thank you in advanced. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristegui
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove box like special character from end of string

Hi All, How to remove a box like special character which appears at the end of a string/line/record. I have no clue what this box like special character is. It is transparent square like box. This appears in a .DAT file at the end of header. I'm to compare a value in header with a parameter.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a newline character at the end of filename

Hi All, I have named a file with current date,time and year as follows: month=`date | awk '{print $2}'` date=`date | awk '{print $3}'` year=`date | awk '{print $6}'` time=`date +%Hh_%Mm_%Ss'` filename="test_"$month"_"$date"_"$year"_"$time".txt" > $filename The file is created with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl use split and remove specific character

i want to split the input by a space and remove specific characters like full stop, comma...... etc. and then save each word in an array. i got something below, but it didn't work. can anyone please help me? Thank you #!/usr/bin/perl -w while (<>) { $line = <>; @word = split(' ',... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

control M character in unix file

in a file we are getting control character in a file , is there any way that they can be removed once we have the file for eg. BEGIN-PROCEDURE INITIALIZE ^M LET #row_count = 0^M ^M ^M (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line character at end of file.

I need to remove new line character from end of file. Suppose here are content. a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r <new line> that means file contains 4 lines but data is there in 3 lines. so I want that only 3 lines should be there in file. Please help (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun940
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd character from the end of a random-length string

Hi, I hope someone can share there scripting fu on my problem, I would like to delete the 3rd character from a random length of string starting from the end Example Output Hope you can help me.. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Remove comma as last character in end of last line of file?

how to Remove comma as last charector in end of last line of file: example: input file --------------- aaaaaa, bbbbbb, cccc, 12345, ____________ output file : ----------- aaaaaa, bbbbbb, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
6 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)