Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with load average?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with load average? Post 302559245 by robo on Monday 26th of September 2011 01:54:12 PM
Old 09-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Depends what you want it to be. If your system is always busy, high is normal. Low is normal on a mostly idle system.

It's more useful for comparison. Sudden, unexpected changes can be indicative of problems. Low average on a system supposed to be busy -- did some daemon crash and die? High average on usually-idle system -- what's causing it?
just for analysis, is there any theroy to calculate threshold value for any given machine

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

load average

we have an unix system which has load average normally about 20. but while i am running a particular unix batch which performs heavy operations on filesystem and database average load reduces to 15. how can we explain this situation? while running that batch idle cpu time is about %60-65... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average

Hello all, I have a question about load averages. I've read the man pages for the uptime and w command for two or three different flavors of Unix (Red Hat, Tru64, Solaris). All of them agree that in the output of the 2 aforementioned commands, you are given the load average for the box, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heathe_Kyle
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determening load average.

Hi, I'm new to shell scripting. I need to make a script to add on to my cronjobs. The script must get the value of load average from my server and if its greater than 10 it should stop my apache service. I cant find a way to get the value of load average in integer type to do the check. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jibsonline
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top - Load average

Hello, Here is the output of top command. My understanding here is, the load average 0.03 in last 1 min, 0.02 is in last 5 min, 0.00 is in last 15 min. By seeing this load average, When can we say that, the system load averge is too high? When can we say that, load average is medium/low??... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

5. Solaris

load average query.

Hi, i have installed solaris 10 on t-5120 sparc enterprise. I am little surprised to see load average of 2 or around on this OS. when checked with ps command following process is using highest CPU. looks like it is running for long time and does not want to stop, but I do not know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help me in my load average

Hello AlL,.. I want from experts to help me as my load average is increased and i dont know where is the problem !! this is my top result : root@a4s # top top - 11:30:38 up 40 min, 1 user, load average: 3.06, 2.49, 4.66 Mem: 8168788k total, 2889596k used, 5279192k free, 47792k... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: black-code
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average threshold

What should be the threshold for load average of a quad core processor? What constitutes "good" and "bad" load average values? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Load average in UNIX

Hi , I am using 48 CPU sunOS server at my work. The application has facility to check the current load average before starting a new process to control the load. Right now it is configured as 48. So it does mean that each CPU can take maximum one proces and no processe is waiting. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Load Average and Lwps

NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 320 oracle 23G 22G 69% 582:55:11 85% 47 root 148M 101M 0.3% 99:29:40 0.3% 53 rafmsdb 38M 60M 0.2% 0:46:17 0.1% 1 smmsp 1296K 5440K 0.0% 0:00:08 0.0% 7 daemon ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Load average unit

Hi, On load average graph, unit is 100m, 200m, 300...800m. I don't understand what it means. Thx for helping (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michenux
3 Replies
pm_busy_component(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 				     pm_busy_component(9F)

NAME
pm_busy_component, pm_idle_component - Control device component availability for Power Management SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int pm_busy_component(dev_info_t *dip, int component); int pm_idle_component(dev_info_t *dip, int component); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) PARAMETERS
pm_busy_component() dip Pointer to the device's dev_info structure. component The number of the component to be power-managed. pm_idle_component() dip Pointer to the device's dev_info structure. component The number of the component to be power-managed. DESCRIPTION
The pm_busy_component() function sets component of dip to be busy. Calls to pm_busy_component() are stacked, requiring a corresponding num- ber of calls to pm_idle_component() to make the component idle again. When a device is busy it will not be power-managed by the system. The pm_idle_component() function marks component idle, recording the time that component went idle. This function must be called once for each call to pm_busy_component(). A component which is idle is available to be power-managed by the system. The pm_idle_component() func- tion has no effect if the component is already idle, except to update the system's notion of when the device went idle. Note - If these functions are called as a result of entry into the driver's attach(9E), detach(9E) or power(9E) entry point, these func- tions must be called from the same thread which entered attach(9E), detach(9E) or power(9E). RETURN VALUES
The pm_busy_component() and pm_idle_component() functions return: DDI_SUCCESS Successfully set the indicated component busy or idle. DDI_FAILURE Invalid component number component or the device has no components. CONTEXT
These functions can be called from user or kernel context. These functions may also be called from interrupt context, providing they are not the first Power Management function called by the driver. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
power.conf(4), pm(7D), attach(9E), detach(9E), power(9E), pm_raise_power(9F), pm(9P), pm-components(9P) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 21 July 2004 pm_busy_component(9F)