Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers newline character in a variable Post 302558811 by Scott on Sunday 25th of September 2011 01:35:32 PM
Old 09-25-2011
Try using quotes. That will preserve the whitespace / newline characters:

Code:
echo "$variable"

printf is better for this kind of thing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I replace newline character?

Hi, I am trying to write a script to prepare some text for use as web content. What is happening is that all the newlines in the textfile are ignored, so I want to be able to replace/add a few characters so that for a file containg: This is line 1. This is line two. This is line four.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghoti
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed append newline character

Hi All, I am new to Shell scripting.. I have a task to parse the text file into csv format. more then half the things has done. But the problem is when I use the sed command in shell script. it appends newline character at the end of the line. and so when I open the file in CSV it's format... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurang033
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newline character

hi, I want to print the below lines "Message from bac logistics The Confirmation File has not been received." When i give like this in the code "Message from bac logistics\n The Confirmation File has not been received." It is giving only Message from bac logistics\n The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo without newline character

hi, I have a for loop where in I write some file name to another file. I want to write all the filenames to another without any newlines. how can i avoid getting new lines with echo? Thanks, Srilaxmi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why SED can't see the last newline character?

Removed. My question does not make sense. and SED does see the last newline character. But I still have a question: How to remove the last newline character(the newline character at the end of last line) using SED? ---------- Post updated 05-01-11 at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous update was... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing by newline character

I have a file (pema)with a single long record which i have to break up into multiple lines Input s1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas1bbbbbbbbbbs1cccccccccc Output s1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa s1bbbbbbbbbb s1cccccccccc m planning to do it by replacing s1 by \ns1 \n is the new line character i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting for PuttyCM (NewLine Character)

Hi, I am trying to edit a script to create an XML file to upload into PuttyCM. Everything works with the exception of the NewLine character. By default this option is set to Line feed (LF). I need it to be set to NewLine (CR/LF) <options> <loginmacro>True</loginmacro> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jett44
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to convert \n character to newline in UNIX.

I have a variable like below: str1="10.9.11.128\n-rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-12-29 17:53 /var/branch/custom/tg.xml 286030210\n10.9.12.129\n-rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-12-29 17:53 /app/branch/custom/tg.xml 286030210\n10.9.20.130\n-rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-12-29 17:53 /web/branch/custom/tg.xml 286030210" I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)