Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting enabling telnet for some users Post 302556541 by semaan on Monday 19th of September 2011 04:41:58 AM
Old 09-19-2011
enabling telnet for some users

dear all

telnet on our server is disabled for security reasons , if we want to allow telnet for some users , ( maybe 1 or 2 to be able to telnet ) is their any way to do that ??

does anyone have any ideas ?
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Can Telnet in Linux 8.0 be restricted for users

Hi, I want to create a user and allow its to be able to have telnet session like what you have in the ftp allow and deny. Is this possible Thanx. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocking ftp users to connect using telnet

Hi everybody ! We have all flavors of Unix / Linux and we want to restrict ftp users to telnet our servers. We can't disable telnet because we have other users using it. :confused: Are there any thing that could be done to solve this thing ??? Best regards, Julio Moreira (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliocdrm
11 Replies

3. AIX

Not able to login as normal users through console /telnet/ssh

Hi , I am having problem,users are not able to login through ssh or telnet.Only we can login as root user in console. Restarted telnet and sshd ,no luck. Any ideas. AIX -- 5.2 ML 07 Thanks, MNK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnkfre
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Telnet permission for other then root users in HP-UNIX

Hi please tell me any one how to give telnet permission for other then root users in HP-UNIX :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedhargouda
4 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.3 : Limitation to 1 telnet session for some users

Hi, I search the way to limit, for a group on a AIX 5.3, one telnet session by user (Simultaneous). I search a lot in /etc/security but the only way found is with the pam authentication that i not use. No solution found also in smit menu... Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilong
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

enabling telnet

dear all , Regrettably I need to enable telnet for a single user on a unix machine , Everyone else will have to use ssh. what do i have to configure and how so i can restrict which users may login via the telnet server? Double post. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enabling Telnet Service for a particular User only

Hi I want to know, whether we can enable TELNET service for a particular user only while disabling it for rest of the users? If so, then how ? Please help me in this regard (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
0 Replies

9. AIX

Users can not login with telnet 3004-031

when all the users try to login using telnet they will counter the error 3004-031 . and they can not access the system . our application is sbglobus (temenos ) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
6 Replies

10. AIX

Telnet sessions stay as idle users

Hi The telnet sessions stay as idle users. It is not getting kicked out. Please advise what could be the issue. only when we reboot the server these telnet sessions goes. Below is the current output from the server. we rebooted the server three days ago: pmut6:/> uptime 04:21PM... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies
telnetrc(4)							   File Formats 						       telnetrc(4)

NAME
telnetrc - file for telnet default options DESCRIPTION
The .telnetrc file contains commands that are executed when a connection is established on a per-host basis. Each line in the file con- tains a host name, one or more spaces or tabs, and a telnet(1) command. The host name, DEFAULT, matches all hosts. Lines beginning with the pound sign (#) are interpreted as comments and therefore ignored. telnet(1) commands are case-insensitive to the contents of the .telnetrc file. The .telnetrc file is retrieved from each user's HOME directory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. In the following example, a .telnetrc file executes the telnet(1) command, toggle: weirdhost toggle crmod # Always export $PRINTER DEFAULT environ export PRINTER The lines in this file indicate that the toggle argument crmod, whose default value is "off" (or FALSE), should be enabled when connecting to the system weirdhost. In addition, the value of the environment variable PRINTER should be exported to all systems. In this case, the DEFAULT keyword is used in place of the host name. FILES
$HOME/.telnetrc SEE ALSO
telnet(1), in.telnetd(1M), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Jan 1998 telnetrc(4)