Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with retaining variable scope Post 302555921 by justchill on Friday 16th of September 2011 06:07:54 AM
Old 09-16-2011
Lightbulb Help with retaining variable scope

Hi,

I use Korn Shell. Searched Forum and modified the way the file is input to the while loop, but still the variable does not seem to be retaining the final count.

Code:
while read name
        do
                Tmp=`echo $name | awk '{print $9 }'`
                Count=`cat $Tmp | wc -l`
                echo $Count
                Value=`expr $Value + $Count`
                echo "Value is  $Value"
        done < filelist
        echo "Value=$Value"

Code:
$ sh file.sh
Value is  329
Value=0

Can anyone please tell me y the value is not retained.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing data and retaining the full length of variable

Here's is an example of what I want to do: var1="Horse " var2="Cat " var3="Fish " for animals in "$var1" "$var2" "$var3" do set $animals pet=$1 ## Ok, now I want to get the values of $pet, but ## I want to retain the full length it was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: app4dxh
3 Replies

2. Programming

C++ variable scope and mutexes

I've been wondering if I can make mutexes much easier to use in C++ with creative use of a locking class and variable scope, but I'm not sure if things happen in the order I want. Here's pseudocode for something that could use the class: int someclass::getvalue() { int retval; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable not retaining value

Bourne shell Solaris I'm trying to set a flag to perform an action only when data is found. So I initialize the flag with: X=0 Then I read the data: if ; then while read a b c do X=1 done < ${inputFile} fi The problem is that X will be set to 1 inside the while loop but when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of the variable - Naga

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting, in the below script "num" is an input file which contains a series of numbers example : 2 3 5 8 I want to add the above all numbers and want the result finally outside the while loop. it prints the value zero instead of the actual expected... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagnatar
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable scope

Hi, I want to know about the variable scope in shell script. How can we use the script argument inside the function? fn () { echo $1 ## I want this argument should be the main script argument and not the funtion argument. } also are there any local,global types in shell script? if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value not retaining outside function

Hi All, As per my understanding, value of variable is retained outside function. But the value of array myarrayDriver is not retained outside function. Could you please tell the reason for the same.. code: readingConfigFile() { search_keyword="$1" i=0 for pointer in $(cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash loops and variable scope

Hi All, I've been researching this problem and I am pretty sure that the issue is related to the while loop and the piping. There are plenty of other threads about this issue that recommend removing the pipe and using redirection. However, I haven't been able to get it working using the ssh and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1skydive
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable scope in bash

Hello! Before you "bash" me with - Not another post of this kind Please read on and you will understand my problem... I am using the below to extract a sum of the diskIO on a Solaris server. #!/bin/sh PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; export PATH TEMP1="/tmp/raw-sar-output.txt$$"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haaru
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintain Scope of the variable in UNIX

Hi All Is there is any way to maintain the scope of the variable in unix Example x=1 j=1 while do .. .... .... while do .. .. x=x+1 done #inner most while loop ends here done #outer loop ends here (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
8 Replies

10. Programming

Variable Scope in Perl

I have to admit that i have not used Perl at all and this is a singular occasion where i have to patch an existing Perl script. I dearly hope i do not have to do it again for the next 15 years and therefore try to avoid having to learn the programming language in earnest. The OS is AIX 7.1, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell - base class for CPANPLUS shells SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)