Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Different OS Kernel Update Frequency Post 302555827 by pludi on Thursday 15th of September 2011 06:01:24 PM
Old 09-15-2011
As always: it depends. Information about security updates is mostly relayed through special mailing lists, and CentOS and Debian (to my knowledge) only release updates for security problems or severe bugs for any release. Meaning, any software installed for CentOS will stay at that version and only receive security fixes, from the kernel to the GUI.

Whether or not you can postpone a reboot depends on how risked you estimate your system to be.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

kernel patch update how to

Hi All, I need to update my redhatas4 kernel with kernel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL.src.rpm. When I run this # rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL.src.rpm warning: user brewbuilder does not exist - using root warning: group brewbuilder does not exist - using root warning: user brewbuilder does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris kernel Update

Hi All, I am installing kernel Update 3.0 in my Solaris servers. It actually installs most of the patches in this update , but for some packages it is not installing. It is saying ... Version of package SUNWcakr from directory SUNWcakr.us in patch 137137-09 differs from the package... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

3. Solaris

kernel update

Hi I am installeing Solaris Kernel update in my solaris Server. The Solaris Kernel update skipps the patch 120011-14. saying that it had already been installed. But it is not found in /var/sadm/patch directory where all the patches will be there. And also i could not install other... (11 Replies)
11 Replies

4. Red Hat

Kernel Update

1. Where do i obtain new kernels in ".rpm" format to update my RHEL5? is it only available to RHN subscribers? 2. i downloaded latest kernel (linux-2.6.31.5.tar.bz2) from kernel.org. #tar -xjvf linux-2.6.31.5.tar.bz2 after this i have a directory with lots of stuff in there. how do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
2 Replies

5. Solaris

how to update the kernel patches in solaris 10

tell me the step by step procedure for updating the kernel patches in solaris 10. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Linux kernel update

Dear all, I have some linux servers in my prod environment. For two years i have not done any kernel updates or required patches ...should i have to this activity. My kernel version is 2.6.18-164.el5xen and linux release is release 5.4 (Tikanga). And reboot also not done for 2 years is... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check NTP update frequency?

Hi i want know to how to check NTP update frequency for a server? what should be its ideal value or range ? also, i have configure one switch and on gui i can see NTP update frequency value is 1440. also no idea what should be its ideal value i am not sure if this is correct or not .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies
DWWW(1) 							      Debian								   DWWW(1)

NAME
dwww - access documentation via WWW SYNOPSIS
http://localhost/dwww/index.html dwww dwww program-name | package-name DESCRIPTION
A typical Linux system has documentation in many formats (manual pages, info files, READMEs, and so on). dwww makes it possible to access all of these via the same interface, a WWW browser. This makes it easier to use the documentation. To use dwww, load the URL given in the SYNOPSIS. If you have a web browser installed, you can also just run the dwww command which loads the URL. If BROWSER environment variable is set, dwww uses sensible-browser(1) to load the URL. Otherwise, dwww first tries to use browser specified by DWWW_BROWSER or DWWW_X11_BROWSER configuration variable (cf. dwww(7)), than will use sensible-browser(1) command. If optional argument program-name or package-name is specified, dwww will search all documentation related to given program or package. ENVIRONMENT
BROWSER Program used to load the above mentioned URL. FILES
/etc/dwww/dwww.conf Configuration file for dwww. SEE ALSO
dwww-find(8), dwww(7), sensible-browser(1). AUTHOR
Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>. Modified by Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the Debian Bug Tracking System at <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/>. dwww is licensed via the GNU General Public License. While it has been written for Debian, porting it to other systems is strongly encour- aged. dwww 1.11.1 February 15th, 2009 DWWW(1)