Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Different OS Kernel Update Frequency Post 302555827 by pludi on Thursday 15th of September 2011 06:01:24 PM
Old 09-15-2011
As always: it depends. Information about security updates is mostly relayed through special mailing lists, and CentOS and Debian (to my knowledge) only release updates for security problems or severe bugs for any release. Meaning, any software installed for CentOS will stay at that version and only receive security fixes, from the kernel to the GUI.

Whether or not you can postpone a reboot depends on how risked you estimate your system to be.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

kernel patch update how to

Hi All, I need to update my redhatas4 kernel with kernel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL.src.rpm. When I run this # rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL.src.rpm warning: user brewbuilder does not exist - using root warning: group brewbuilder does not exist - using root warning: user brewbuilder does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris kernel Update

Hi All, I am installing kernel Update 3.0 in my Solaris servers. It actually installs most of the patches in this update , but for some packages it is not installing. It is saying ... Version of package SUNWcakr from directory SUNWcakr.us in patch 137137-09 differs from the package... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

3. Solaris

kernel update

Hi I am installeing Solaris Kernel update in my solaris Server. The Solaris Kernel update skipps the patch 120011-14. saying that it had already been installed. But it is not found in /var/sadm/patch directory where all the patches will be there. And also i could not install other... (11 Replies)
11 Replies

4. Red Hat

Kernel Update

1. Where do i obtain new kernels in ".rpm" format to update my RHEL5? is it only available to RHN subscribers? 2. i downloaded latest kernel (linux-2.6.31.5.tar.bz2) from kernel.org. #tar -xjvf linux-2.6.31.5.tar.bz2 after this i have a directory with lots of stuff in there. how do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
2 Replies

5. Solaris

how to update the kernel patches in solaris 10

tell me the step by step procedure for updating the kernel patches in solaris 10. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Linux kernel update

Dear all, I have some linux servers in my prod environment. For two years i have not done any kernel updates or required patches ...should i have to this activity. My kernel version is 2.6.18-164.el5xen and linux release is release 5.4 (Tikanga). And reboot also not done for 2 years is... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check NTP update frequency?

Hi i want know to how to check NTP update frequency for a server? what should be its ideal value or range ? also, i have configure one switch and on gui i can see NTP update frequency value is 1440. also no idea what should be its ideal value i am not sure if this is correct or not .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies
DCONTROL(1)															       DCONTROL(1)

NAME
dcontrol -- Query package and source control files for all Debian distributions SYNOPSIS
dcontrol [options] package[modifiers] [...] DESCRIPTION
dcontrol queries a remote database of Debian binary and source package control files. It can be thought of as an apt-cache webservice that also operates for distributions and architectures different from the local machine. MODIFIERS
Like apt-cache, packages can be suffixed by modifiers: =version Exact version match @architecture Query this only architecture. Use @source for source packages, @binary excludes source packages. /[archive:][suite][/component] Restrict to archive (debian, debian-backports, debian-security, debian-volatile), suite (always codenames, with the exception of experimental), and/or component (main, updates/main, ...). Use two slashes (//) to separate suite and component if the suite name contains slashes. (Component can be left empty.) By default, all versions, suites, and architectures are queried. Refer to http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/dcontrol for currently supported values. OPTIONS
-s, --show-suites Add headers showing which distribution the control file is from. -d, --debug Print URL queried. -h, --help Show a help message. -V, --version Show version information. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The two configuration files /etc/devscripts.conf and ~/.devscripts are sourced by a shell in that order to set configuration variables. Command line options can be used to override configuration file settings. Environment variable settings are ignored for this purpose. The currently recognised variable is: DCONTROL_URL URL to query. Default is http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/dcontrol. AUTHOR
This program is Copyright (C) 2009 by Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org>. This program is licensed under the terms of the GPL, either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. SEE ALSO
apt-cache(1). Debian Utilities 2013-12-23 DCONTROL(1)