Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calling a Perl script in a Bash script -Odd Situation Post 302555752 by leepet01 on Thursday 15th of September 2011 04:23:31 PM
Old 09-15-2011
Calling a Perl script in a Bash script -Odd Situation

I am creating a startup script for an application. This application's startup script is in bash. It will also need to call a perl script (which I will not be able to modify) for the application environment prior to calling the application. The problem is that this perl script creates a new shell when started and will not automatically exit. Therefore it will sit until I enter “exit”, then the application will start, but I lost the environment I need.

Simple Application Script Example:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# call perl script that sets the application environment
Perl_env_script

# startup application
APP_START

Putting the “Perl_env_script” in the background still placed the needed environment outside the application and I don't get the environment I need when the application starts.

I also want to mention that I can manually type the command `Perl_env_script`, which leaves me in its current shell, where I can manually start the application normally. Unfortunately, this will be used from an application menu launcher and so I need to automate this process.

If this cannot be done, then I'll take the time to go through the perl script (which is huge and confusing) to gain the environment I need, but I was hoping there was an easier way.

Thanks for your help!
Frustrated Newbie

---------- Post updated at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:13 PM ----------

I got it working, but it's a two-step process:

I created a one-line script that calls the Perl script within an xterm:
Code:
xterm -e Perl_env_script

Once the xterm is up, the user will have to start another script to start the application:

Code:
APP_START:
#!/bin/sh
export APP_HOME=/testapps/apps

${APP_HOME}/bin/APPclient

I don't like the two-step process, but it is working. I might receive some complaints from users. So, if you know of a more streamlined way of doing this, please let me know.

Again, Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a shell script from a perl script

Hi, I have one shel script which returns some value and I am calling this shell script from a perl script which needs the out put/return value of shell script. But I don't know how to collect the output/return value of the shell script. Can any one give some idea on it? For example: The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling 3 perl script from one

hi all, I have 3 perl scripts a.pl,b.pl and c.pl each of these work when i pass a date for eg: perl c.pl 2010-05-27 now i want to write a perl script that would call the 3 scripts and make it run all the 3 scripts (a.pl,b.pl,c.pl) parallelly rather than 1 after the other....... pls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva_nagarajan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash command in perl script

Hi, I have tried several times but failed, I need to call this script from the perl script. This one line script will be sent to /var/tmp/error Bash command: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -backstat -l -hoursago 12 |awk '{ print $19, $12, $14, $16}'|grep -vi default|sort >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
12 Replies

4. Red Hat

Calling BASH script from JAVA

Hi, I am trying to call a bash script from a java file. Code to call bash script will look like: Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime(); Process process = runtime.exec("mybashfile.sh"); It is succesfully calling the bash file. I am using simple rm commands in the script to remove... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshman.forums
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a perl script with arguments from a parent perl script

I am trying to run a perl script which needs input arguments from a parent perl script, but doesn't seem to work. Appreciate your help in this regard. From parent.pl $input1=123; $input2=abc; I tried calling it with system("/usr/bin/perl child.pl $input1 $input2"); and `perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How we can pass the argument when calling shell script from perl script

Can someone let me know how could I achieve this In one of per script I am calling the shell script but I need to so one thing that is one shell script call I need to pass pne argument.In below code I am calling my ftp script but here I want to pass one argument so how could I do this (e.g:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling function from another bash script

I would like to call functions from another bash script. How can I do it? Some code More code (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script present on another server using perl script.

Hi, I am working on a sever A. I want to write a perl script to execute a shell script persent on the server B. please help me in this. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a perl script from another script

hi, i have 2 perl scrips, a.pl and b.pl. i want to call b.pl from a.pl and once b.pl is executed, would like to return value from b.pl to a.pl. ######## a.pl ############## $test = `./b.pl 1`; print "file a: $test \n"; ####### b.pl ############## print "file b: $ARGV \n"; return 100; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalathak10
3 Replies

10. Programming

Calling bash script from CGI

Hi, I am having two individual scripts Script 1): CGI script - is a simple script which trigger bash script Script 2): Bash script - is a script which execute which collects file system utilization information from all the Unix servers If I am executing CGI script manually from command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
2 Replies