Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable Post 302555671 by jforce on Thursday 15th of September 2011 09:40:26 AM
Old 09-15-2011
replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this?

e.g:
Code:
a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert
erterte
rterter
tertertert
ert)

How do i replace the STRING with $a?

I try this:
Code:
sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext

but this don' t work

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by vbe; 09-15-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: please use code tags for code and data

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines containting a variable string using SED.

Good morning, Novice scripter in Unix here, and I've run into and sed task I can't quite wrap my head around. I'm pulling my hair out fast enough as it is and thought I would go to the knowledge bank. I have a sorted file that I'm trying to trim down by deleting any line whose first few... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selkirk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a string with contents of a txt file containing multiple lines of strings

Hello everyone, ive been trying to replace a string "kw01" in an xml file with the contents of a txt file having multiple lines. im a unix newbie and all the sed combinations i tried resulted to being garbled. Below is the contents of the txt file: RAISEDATTIME --------------------... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a string with a variable in a file using sed?

I have a file having some text like: PATH_ABC=/user/myLocation I have to replace "/user/myLocation" with a session variable say, $REPLACE_PATH, where $REPLACE_PATH=/user/myReplaceLocation The following sed command is not working. It is writing PATH_ABC=$REPLACE_PATH in the file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SKhan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with multiple lines

Hello Guys, I need to replace a string with multiple lines. For eg:- ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PQR,STU need to convert the above as below:- ABC,DEF, GHI1 GHI2 GHI3, JKL,MNO, PQR1 PQR2 PQR3, STU i have tried using code as:- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
MPI_Add_error_string(3OpenMPI)											    MPI_Add_error_string(3OpenMPI)

NAME
MPI_Add_error_string - Associates a string with an error code or class SYNTAX
C Syntax #include <mpi.h> int MPI_Add_error_string(int errorcode, char *string) Fortran Syntax INCLUDE 'mpif.h' MPI_ADD_ERROR_STRING(ERRORCODE, STRING, IERROR) INTEGER ERRORCODE, IERROR CHARACTER*(*) STRING C++ Syntax #include <mpi.h> void MPI::Add_error_string(int errorcode, const char* string) INPUT PARAMETERS
errorcode MPI error class, or an error code returned by an MPI routine (integer). string Text that corresponds to the error code or class (string). OUTPUT PARAMETER
IERROR Fortran only: Error status (integer). DESCRIPTION
This routine associates an error string with an error code or class. Calling MPI_Add_error_string for an error code or class that already has an associated error string will replace the old string with the new one. It is erroneous to call MPI_Add_error_string for an error value not generated via MPI_Add_error_class or MPI_Add_error_code (e.g., an error code or class with a value not greater than MPI_LAST_ERRCODE). ERRORS
Almost all MPI routines return an error value; C routines as the value of the function and Fortran routines in the last argument. C++ func- tions do not return errors. If the default error handler is set to MPI::ERRORS_THROW_EXCEPTIONS, then on error the C++ exception mechanism will be used to throw an MPI:Exception object. Before the error value is returned, the current MPI error handler is called. By default, this error handler aborts the MPI job, except for I/O function errors. The error handler may be changed with MPI_Comm_set_errhandler; the predefined error handler MPI_ERRORS_RETURN may be used to cause error values to be returned. Note that MPI does not guarantee that an MPI program can continue past an error. SEE ALSO
MPI_Add_error_class MPI_Add_error_code MPI_Error_class MPI_Error_string Open MPI 1.2 September 2006 MPI_Add_error_string(3OpenMPI)