Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) .local hostname available as an environmental variable? Post 302555594 by apmcd47 on Thursday 15th of September 2011 06:57:05 AM
Old 09-15-2011
I take it using /etc/hostname is out of the question? You could cheat by creating a file in /etc (say myname) which then contains a unique identifier for each machine. Then the script can read the file in some manner similar to:
Code:
MYNAME=$(</etc/myname)

Another way would be to use the MAC address of the machine which will be unique. As you are using a database anyway the MAC address could be in there with an associated unique name. Accessing the MAC address depends on the system - on Linux I can find mine by using the ifconfig command. With Solaris you search for the local machine in the arp table. I don't know how MACOS X does it.

Alternatively could your DHCP server administrator be persuaded to reserve each IP address for each MAC address, making the IP address and therefore hostname constant?

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Oracle Environmental Variable !!

Can someone send me a shell script to set all Oracle environment variable which is working. I have the following script which works but not 100%. Please advice what you think is wrong. if # Command executed from a terminal then ORACLE_SID="" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuser
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environmental Variable

Hi, I'm exporting an environmental variable from a C program using putenv function. I'm calling the exe of the C program from shell script. But when I display the environmental variables from the Shell script, My varaible is not getting displayed. Can anyone please tell me how to get it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting ksh environmental variable

Hi, I have problem setting up environmental variables. The idea is to start with main.ksh script that will run setting.ksh, and in side of it I'll set up variables. Please take a look at my code, and help me to find my mistake. Thanks, Mila Main.ksh look like this: #!/usr/bin/ksh #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mefquik
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does the PATH environmental variable work?

Hello. I have a question about how the PATH environment variable works. I wrote a script in $HOME/bin/gvim. I want it to be called instead of /usr/bin/gvim, so I've placed it before in the PATH. However, it is still the old one that is found. If I open an other terminal, I have the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwer
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the value of a variable which is having another value in environmental script?

Dear Folks, I am facing an issue in getting a value of a variable.Let me explain the scenario. I am having a list file say files.list in which I have mentioned 1 FILE1 2 FILE2 Then I am having an set_env.ksh in which I mentioned FILE1=/clocal/data/user/userdata.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Environmental Variable

I have a request from a programmer to set an env variable for him. I know how to do it for bash shell by adding the following line to .bash_profile export $VAR=/home/code/project/ But this will be applicable only when he is in his bash shell. What is the procedure to be followed to make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environmental variable for all the users in the box

Hi, I have Sun solaris x64 box in which i need to set a Environment variable for all the users in the box. This Environment varible is used by the application on the box. Could any one please help me in setting the Environment variable. Thanks, Firestar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Environmental variable

i want to set environmental variables in solaris and redhat. it should show the current directory and the default shell should be bourne shell. along with it should show the hostname.. like this hostname{/home/vipin/data}# ifconfig Thanks in advanced.:wall: Please use code tags.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipinkumarr89
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearing a environmental variable

i set a variable from the command line: export GANG="james,roy,martin" i can access this variable ($GANG) from a script. but each time i run the script, the variable keeps getting bigger. more info keeps getting added to it. Is there anyway i can make the $GANG variable contain the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with cron and environmental variable

My shell script it.sh.I am calling bip.sh from it.sh #!/bin/sh ORACLE_HOME=/var/opt/oracle/product/10g; export ORACLE_HOME PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/bin:/usr/bin; export PATH today=`date "+%m-%d-%Y %H:%M:%S"`; export today CUR_DIR=$1; export CUR_DIR LOG_FILE=$CUR_DIR/error.log;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
4 Replies
LAST,LASTB(1)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     LAST,LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [-adFiowx] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [name...] [tty...] lastb [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [ -f file ] [-adFiowx] [name...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
Last searches back through the file /var/log/wtmp (or the file designated by the -f flag) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. Names of users and tty's can be given, in which case last will show only those entries matching the arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When last catches a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal (generated by the quit key, usu- ally control-), last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all reboots since the log file was created. Lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the file /var/log/btmp, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-f file Tells last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. -num This is a count telling last how many lines to show. -n num The same. -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS Display the state of logins as of the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to determine easily who was logged in at a particular time -- specify that time with -t and look for "still logged in". -R Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -a Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the next flag. -d For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -F Print full login and logout times and dates. -i This option is like -d in that it displays the IP number of the remote host, but it displays the IP number in numbers-and-dots nota- tion. -o Read an old-type wtmp file (written by linux-libc5 applications). -w Display full user and domain names in the output. -x Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configura- tion issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), login(1), init(8) Jul 31, 2004 LAST,LASTB(1)