Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Help setting up a wireless access point Post 302554798 by smotm on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 05:46:52 AM
Old 09-13-2011
Wireless connections are more complicated to set up than wired connections. You’re basically setting up a radio transmitter that broadcasts to little radios attached to your PCs. You need to worry about signal strength, finding the right signal, and even entering passwords to keep outsiders from listening in.

---------- Post updated at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:45 AM ----------
  • Wireless transmitters, known as Wireless Access Points (WAPs), come either built into your router or plugged into one of your router’s ports. The setup software is different on every model, but it requires you to set up these three things:

Network name (SSID): Enter a short, easy-to-remember name here to identify your particular wireless network

---------- Post updated at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:46 AM ----------

Later, when connecting to the wireless network with your computer, you’ll select this same name to avoid accidentally connecting with your neighbor’s wireless network.

Infrastructure: Choose Infrastructure instead of the alternative, Ad Hoc.

Security: This option encrypts your data as it flies through the air. Turn it on using the recommended settings.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

Netgear wireless router as Access Point

Hi guys, I want to setup AP using an NETGEAR WGR614 54 Mbps 802.11g Wireless Router The router works fine, but I don't have internet access. I will describe the structure of the net to explain it: I have one server (Free BSD 7) with 2 LAN PCI cards: re0 - it is connected to my ISP ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitemap
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Wireless Acess Point Mapping

I am doing a site survey for possibly a new contract and am using kismet for analysis. The are several buildings and was wondering if there was a utility that will map out the location of access points o report and to help out with analyses. Is there anything in the open source community that can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

SAP (Service Access Point)

In the OSI model there is a thing called SAP. I can't find information about it... The only thing i found is this: Does anybody know where i can find more explanations about SAP???? thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandia_man
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

no wireless access on my laptop in ubuntu 9.10

Hii i have installed ubuntu 9.10 and my hp laptop has a wireless (this one works just like the normal volume button touch screen if u touch it wireless works or else it doesnot ) now after installing ubuntu it glows always red and never turn blue.. i have windows 7 on other partition it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_nebula
0 Replies

7. Solaris

what is the use of setting canmount=noauto in zfs mount point?

while using oracle solaris live upgrade it is mentioned to set few mountpoints like that.. what is the point doing that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chidori
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installing broadcom driver for wireless access

I use lspci and dmesg command and find out that i have ipw2000 wireless card on my laptop. I want to install driver for that but i'm not getting proper driver for that.My linux version is el5 and architecture is i386. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbharad
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Problem setting up wireless mouse

Did not know where to post this. Could someone help me with getting my wireless mouse to work? I can post more specifics at that time. Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
9 Replies
IWSPY(8)                                                     Linux Programmer's Manual                                                    IWSPY(8)

NAME
iwspy - Get wireless statistics from specific nodes SYNOPSIS
iwspy [interface] iwspy interface [+] DNSNAME | IPADDR | HWADDR [...] iwspy interface off iwspy interface setthr low high iwspy interface getthr DESCRIPTION
Iwspy is used to set a list of addresses to monitor in a wireless network interface and to read back quality of link information for each of those. This information is the same as the one available in /proc/net/wireless : quality of the link, signal strength and noise level. This information is updated each time a new packet is received, so each address of the list adds some overhead in the driver. Note that this functionality works only for nodes part of the current wireless cell, you can not monitor Access Points you are not associ- ated with (you can use Scanning for that) and nodes in other cells. In Managed mode, in most case packets are relayed by the Access Point, in this case you will get the signal strength of the Access Point. For those reasons this functionality is mostly useful in Ad-Hoc and Mas- ter mode. PARAMETERS
You may set any number of addresses up to 8. DNSNAME | IPADDR Set an IP address, or in some cases a DNS name (using the name resolver). As the hardware works with hardware addresses, iwspy will translate this IP address through ARP. In some case, this address might not be in the ARP cache and iwspy will fail. In those case, ping(8) this name/address and retry. HWADDR Set a hardware (MAC) address (this address is not translated & checked like the IP one). The address must contain a colon (:) to be recognised as a hardware address. + Add the new set of addresses at the end of the current list instead of replacing it. The address list is unique for each device, so each user should use this option to avoid conflicts. off Remove the current list of addresses and disable the spy functionality setthr Set the low and high signal strength threshold for the iwspy event (for drivers that support it). Every time the signal strength for any of the address monitored with iwspy goes lower than the low threshold or goes higher than the high threshold, a Wireless Event will be generated. This can be used to monitor link outages without having to run iwspy periodically. getthr Retrieve the current low and high signal strength threshold for the iwspy event. FILES
/proc/net/wireless SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), iwlist(8), iwevent(8), iwpriv(8), wireless(7). net-tools 31 October 1996 IWSPY(8)