Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 install with no DVD drive Post 302554049 by salaxi54 on Saturday 10th of September 2011 12:06:31 PM
Old 09-10-2011
Has this been successfull using an external CD/DVD-ROM? I'm having a similar situation trying to install Solaris 9 on a SunFire V210 with no OS pre-installed. Trying to find out how to prepare a pc as an install server, but haven't figured that out yet. I need to know what it takes to use a x86 machine with Sparc media to install to a Sparc machine. Most everything i read wanted an existing SPARC server to dump the media images to pc, or either have a Sparc machine with OS preinstalled...
Would OBP 4.22 support a USB DVD-ROM boot method by the way?
I do have the 3 CD package of the installation media.
Thanks!

---------- Post updated 09-10-11 at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous update was 09-09-11 at 10:58 PM ----------

Okie dokie! An update: after some googling i found out that closing JP5 (atapi master/slave) i could use two different "generic" slimline DVD ROMs. One's a Toshiba, and the other is a TEAC. Both were recognized at startup, and would boot the Solaris 9.05 installation media. I hope this comes handy to other fellas..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

DVD drive problem after upgrade to Solaris 10

After upgrading to solaris 10 (from sol 8) on a SUN Blade 1500, it seems that the dvd/cd-rom does not accept dvds nor cds in the dvd drive. After I insert a dvd/cd in the drive, the disk is simply ejected (!) Is it possible that the upgrade made the system not being able to recognize these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miket
2 Replies

2. Solaris

questions on how to install Solaris 10 via DVD/RW external device

Whoa...glad to see this forum si up and running, as a few weeks ago I tried to check in and found it directing me somewhere else and felt maybe this board was being hijacked or someone was closing down this forum. Here is a problem I am having. I got a SunFire V100 and disc with Solaris 10 on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive?

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Is there a way to boot from a flash stick or install it through a network? Any help will be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing Solaris x86 through an external DVD drive through the USB port...

Is there a way to install Solaris 10 x86 with an external DVD drive that connects through the USB port? I would think I would run GRUB off of a floppy disk and somehow use that to make it look to the USB port to boot from but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

5. Solaris

SunFire V245, External CD/DVD-ROM, Solaris Install

Hey all. Wondering - I have a pair of V245's with no internal CD/DVD-ROM drives, and I want to install the latest/greatest Solaris 10. Booting these machines with an external drive plugged in via USB does no good. Is jumpstart or installing internal drives the only alternative? I'm a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b1f30
1 Replies

6. Solaris

x4270 Solaris Install without DVD Drive

Hello, Im installing solaris 10 on an x4270 server, but there is no DVD drive. I have only my windows laptop (with dvd drive) and direct access to the ILOM on the server via straight cable. Does anyone know any tips on how to get the solaris installed using what i have? Thanks, K. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to Install EIS DVD for SPARC (solaris 10)

hello, i need to install eis dvd (recommanded patches) dvd for a client, but i don't know the procedure, can you please help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: feg
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install SCSI Jaz drive in Sparc Solaris

I recently got a Sun Sparc 10 Ultra with Solaris 10 installed on it. Now I'm trying to connect my SCSI Jaz drive to it. I moved my Adaptec AHA-2940U PCI SCSI card from my XP PC (where it was working OK) to the Sun and that's about as far as I got. I did a probe-scsi-all and got nothing back,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michele31416
0 Replies

10. Solaris

PKG install from Solaris 11.2 text installer DVD

Sorry if this has been already answered. The solaris 11 IPS is frustrating me. I want to install a package group from the 11.2 ( in this case) Text Installer DVD. 1) is this possible? 2) if yes, how do I set the publisher to point the dvd mount point /media/Oracle_Solaris-11_2-Text-Sparc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)