Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: gnome-terminal questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers gnome-terminal questions Post 302553843 by Tennesseej on Friday 9th of September 2011 02:31:03 AM
Old 09-09-2011
gnome-terminal questions

I have a couple questions regarding gnome-terminal.

Basically I am trying to write an alias that will bring up several gnome-terminals that navigate to certain directories and run certain commands. I have it pretty well figured out, but the one I am having a problem with is simply running a command one time, and returning to the command line. Here is what I am currently doing

gnome-terminal --working-directory=/(directory) --title=(title) --geomety=125x17+0+0 --command="ls -ltr"

This opens the terminal, executed the ls -ltr, but immediately closed the terminal after it's done. I tried adjusting the profile, and that made it so it wouldn't close the terminal, but it didn't return to a command line. Ultimately I have a few scripts that I want to run in non-predicable intervals (aka I can't do a watch), and ideally when the terminal opens it would run the script, and then when I want to run it again I can just Up Arrow and hit Enter to re-run it.

My second question: Is it possible to have a gnome-terminal open in a different workspace from the one you are currently in. I wasn't able to find a --workspace=(workspace) type thing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Answer Terminal Questions With Shell Script?

First off, I am using Mac OS X, with Apple Remote Desktop. I have to install several app's on teachers' laptops which are on several cd's that I have made disk images of. (DMG's) To do rollouts quicker, I have written a script to mount the disk images and running the installers inside each of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Reepr
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with gnome-terminal

Hello everyone. This is my first post.:o Using Ubuntu 8.04 and bash 3.2.39 i'm trying to adapt my routine to this platform. So, this means forget xterm and use gnome-terminal (as default ubuntu terminal). EveryDay i need to connect to several servers, and i've made a Tcl'script to make this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumb gnome terminal question.

I've searched and searched but either I'm not using the right key words or the information isn't in print anywhere. I'm running Cent 5.3 and I have a number of terminal profiles setup to ssh into some of my Unix servers at work, what I'm trying to do is setup shortcuts on my desktop to those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixnoob
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem - gnome terminal shell scripting

I've a python script named rwe.py. I'm running the program in three separate terminals. If one of the executing program stops . I want to leave the terminal as it is so that i can see the error. i wrote a the below script and used cron to run it every one hour to check if the three programs are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msteve2002
0 Replies

5. Linux

How to open a gnome-terminal in specific workspace and run script within it automatically upon login

OK this is a bit messy. I run Fedora with gnome on a compiz desktop, I have a script (userstart) that opens my 'standard' environment for all my machines when I login. userstart flips to a specific workspace and then opens the required applications in that workspace then flips to the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with gnome terminal

Hi, I cant get this command to run in a new gnome terminal cd "$PRG" && gnome-terminal -x sh -c './prg -r testcommand' &>/dev/null & i can run just ./prg -r testcommand and it runs fine but in the command above it only runs ./prg Any ideas community Cheers in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal

hi, I would like to ask about using gnome-terminal command, I had a script that will run my VBOX VM in headless and i want to display the output(STDOUT) on the gnome-terminal window. The purpose that i want to display the STDOUT of the script cause i will used it or create a desktop shortcut for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions About Using Escape characters ('\') In Terminal

I have been looking at people posting commands like : $ sudo apt-get install git gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \ zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev \ libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 \ libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryuinferno
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open gnome-terminal with multi tabs and automatically run a script in each tab

Hi All , i am trying to create an alias to open a new gnome-terminal and run some commands in each tab & to have a specific name for each tab i am using csh , tried this command gnome-terminal --tab -t "s1" --tab -t "s2" --tab -t "s3" --tab -t "s4" it opened 4 tabs but the title didn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Assem
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How are environment variables defined in a Gnome terminal session?

Hello... and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me with my question! I'm hoping someone will have a little patience with me and walk me through this! I'm trying to understand a user login process on Centos 7 and I've gotten a bit confused trying to figure out when/how a Gnome... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies
gnome-terminal(1)						   User Commands						 gnome-terminal(1)

NAME
gnome-terminal - terminal emulator for GNOME SYNOPSIS
gnome-terminal [--window-with-profile=profilename] [--tab-with-profile=profilename] [--command command] [--execute command] [--role=role] [--show-menubar | --hide-menubar] [--use-factory | --disable-factory] [--title=title] [--working-directory=dirname] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
gnome-terminal is the GNOME terminal emulation program. It provides access to the UNIX shell on the GNOME environment. gnome-terminal sup- ports multiple profiles to allow easy switching between preferences, and supports tabbing so that multiple terminals can be managed from a single window. By default, all GNOME terminals share a single process, reducing memory usage. This can be disabled by starting gnome-ter- minal with the --disable-factory option. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --command commanExecutes the command command instead of the shell. This saves some memory if you just plan to run a dedicated application on that window. You can also use -e to specify this option. --execute commanThis option is provided for compatibility reasons. It is the same as the --command option. You can also use -x to specify this option. --disable-factorDo not register with the activation name server, and do not reuse an already running GNOME terminal process. --hide-menubar Hide the menubar. This applies only to one window. When used with multiple --window-with-profile options, it applies to the --window-with-profile option immediately to the left. Can be specified multiple times, once for each --window-with-profile option. --role=role The GNOME session manager follows the ICCCM convention of using the window title and the window role to identify specific windows. The session manager uses this information to put windows back in the same place when the user restarts their ses- sion. If all windows have a unique title, there is no need to set the role. However, as it is common for multiple GNOME terminals to have the same title, the user can also specify the role on the command line with the --role option. This helps the session manager to properly identify and restart each GNOME terminal (in the same location, and so on). When used with multiple --window-with-profile options, it applies to the --window-with-profile option immediately to the left. Can be specified multiple times, once for each --window-with-profile option. --show-menubar Show the menubar. This applies only to one window. When used with multiple --window-with-profile options, it applies to the --window-with-profile option immediately to the left. Can be specified multiple times, once for each --window-with-profile option. --tab-with-profiCreatesilanatab that uses the specified profile. This argument may be specified multiple times to create multiple tabs in a terminal. If this is used with multiple --window-with-profile options, the tab is created for the window that corresponds to the --window-with-profile option immediately to the left. --title=title Set the title for the GNOME terminal to be title. --use-factory Register with the activation name server, and reuse an already running GNOME terminal process. --window-with-prCreatesroaiGNOMEeterminal and a tab that uses the specified profile. This may be used with the --tab-with-profile option to create additional tabs. Multiple --window-with-profile options can be specified to create multiple GNOME terminal windows. All options specified after an --window-with-profile option apply to that --window-with-profile option only. --working-directSet=thenworking directory for the GNOME terminal to be dirname. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
gnome-terminal is designed to emulate the xterm program provided by the X Consortium. The xterm(1) program in turn is an almost-complete emulation of the DEC VT102 terminal. gnome-terminal supports the same extensions to the VT102 as those provided by the xterm program, through special escape sequences. The xterm program is an evolving program. Recent changes to xterm have been been incorporated into gnome- terminal. This includes emulation of the newer DEC VT220 escape sequences. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Running the `minicom' terminal emulator on the window example% gnome-terminal --command minicom Example 2: Monitoring the system example% gnome-terminal --command top Example 3: Starting two windows with different profiles example% gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=FirstProfile --tab-with-profile=SecondProfile --window-with-profile=SecondProfile In this example, the first window will have two tabs (FirstProfile and SecondProfile) and the second window will have one tab (SecondPro- file). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables, set by gnome-terminal: TERM This variable is set to xterm by default. Some implementations of curses, and applications based on curses, may prefer the value to be xterm-color, color-xterm, or xterm-debian to support color. Users might need to change this setting to one of these values to enable color for such applications. COLORTERM This variable is set to xterm. Various applications (especially the Slang-based applications) use this setting to determine whether the terminal supports color. WINDOWID This variable contains the X11 Window identifier. This is sometimes used by applications to modify the contents of this window or provide special effects. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-terminal Executable for GNOME terminal emulator ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-terminal | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-session(1), xterm(1), vte(1), libvte(3), gnome-std-options(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Michael Zucchi, Miguel de Icaza, Erik Troan. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004. SunOS 5.10 31 Aug 2004 gnome-terminal(1)