Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Help setting up a wireless access point Post 302553590 by dorik on Thursday 8th of September 2011 06:21:59 AM
Old 09-08-2011
Help setting up a wireless access point

Hello,

A friend of mine just purchased a DLINK 8500AP and I'm trying to help him set up wireless internet in his house. His computers are connected to one of two switches, which are both hooked up to his DSL modem. I connected the 8500AP to one of the switches. According to the instruction manual, I need to configure the switch through a web browser. It says that DHCP is disabled by default, so I need to connect from a host on the same subnet. The default IP address of the 8500AP is 10.90.90.90/8.

Because I'm not very well versed in networking, I apologize if the steps I took do not make sense. Here's what I tried: I couldn't access the IP address in a web browser (I assume because the IP address doesn't follow that of the rest of the network). So, I tried taking one switch and only hooking up the 8500AP and my laptop. I changed my laptop's IP to 10.0.0.1 to put it on the same network. I still wasn't able to access the web sever on the wireless AP.

I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot!

---------- Post updated at 04:21 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:11 AM ----------

Nevermind, I was able to get into the configuration page. It turns out that DHCP was enabled. I used Angry IP Scanner to find the local IP address and was able to access it through my browser.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

Netgear wireless router as Access Point

Hi guys, I want to setup AP using an NETGEAR WGR614 54 Mbps 802.11g Wireless Router The router works fine, but I don't have internet access. I will describe the structure of the net to explain it: I have one server (Free BSD 7) with 2 LAN PCI cards: re0 - it is connected to my ISP ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitemap
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Wireless Acess Point Mapping

I am doing a site survey for possibly a new contract and am using kismet for analysis. The are several buildings and was wondering if there was a utility that will map out the location of access points o report and to help out with analyses. Is there anything in the open source community that can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

SAP (Service Access Point)

In the OSI model there is a thing called SAP. I can't find information about it... The only thing i found is this: Does anybody know where i can find more explanations about SAP???? thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandia_man
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

no wireless access on my laptop in ubuntu 9.10

Hii i have installed ubuntu 9.10 and my hp laptop has a wireless (this one works just like the normal volume button touch screen if u touch it wireless works or else it doesnot ) now after installing ubuntu it glows always red and never turn blue.. i have windows 7 on other partition it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_nebula
0 Replies

7. Solaris

what is the use of setting canmount=noauto in zfs mount point?

while using oracle solaris live upgrade it is mentioned to set few mountpoints like that.. what is the point doing that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chidori
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installing broadcom driver for wireless access

I use lspci and dmesg command and find out that i have ipw2000 wireless card on my laptop. I want to install driver for that but i'm not getting proper driver for that.My linux version is el5 and architecture is i386. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbharad
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Problem setting up wireless mouse

Did not know where to post this. Could someone help me with getting my wireless mouse to work? I can post more specifics at that time. Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
9 Replies
WIRELESS(7)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       WIRELESS(7)

NAME
wireless - Wireless Tools and Wireless Extensions SYNOPSIS
iwconfig iwpriv -a DESCRIPTION
The Wireless Extensions is an API allowing you manipulate Wireless LAN networking interfaces. It is composed of a variety of tools and configuration files. It is documented in more details in the Linux Wireless LAN Howto. The Wireless Tools are use to change configuration on the fly, to get statistics and diagnose those interfaces. They are described in their own man page (see below). Wireless configuration is specific to each Linux distribution. This man page will contain in the future the configuration procedure for a few common distributions (when I get the necessary info from them). For the time being, check the various files included with the Wireless Tools package. DEBIAN 3.0 Debian 3.0 (and later) has integrated wireless configuration in their network scripts. File : /etc/network/interfaces Form : wireless_<function> <value> wireless_essid Home wireless_mode ad_hoc See also : /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tool /usr/share/doc/wireless.##/README.Debian ORIGINAL PCMCIA SCRIPTS
If you are using the original configuration scripts from the Pcmcia package, you can use this method. File : /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts Form : *,*,*,*) ESSID="MY_ESSID" MODE="Managed" ;; See also : /etc/pcmcia/wireless File PCMCIA.txt part of Wireless Tools package AUTHOR
Jean Tourrilhes - jt@hpl.hp.com http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), iwlist(8), iwspy(8), iwpriv(8), iwevent(8). net-tools 12 July 2002 WIRELESS(7)