Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vlookup files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting vlookup files Post 302553561 by zaxxon on Thursday 8th of September 2011 01:46:21 AM
Old 09-08-2011
No idea what a vlookup is but you can try:

Code:
$> awk -F, 'NR==FNR {a[$1]=$2; next} a[$1] {print $2,a[$1]}' OFS=, dddd ssss
sajan,charit
doda,gilhotra

Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris. Moving this thread to the shell scripting area - nothing Solaris specific.

-------------------------

Edit:

With join:

Code:
$> join -t, -1 1 -2 1 -o 2.2 1.2 f1 f2
sajan,charit
doda,gilhotra

Last edited by zaxxon; 09-08-2011 at 02:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge files like VLOOKUP

I would like to merge data from a reference file and a data file to produce a new output file as shown below. Reference file,data file,output file a , b 2 , a 0 b , d 4 , b 2 c , , c 0 d , , d 4 e, , e 0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzilla07
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between two csv files in UNIX

Hi, I am new to awk/unix and am trying to put together an awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between the two csv files. Here are the contents of the two files: File 1: Date,ParentID,Number,Area,Volume,Dimensions 2014-01-01,ABC,247,83430.33,857.84,8110.76... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prit Siv
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vlookup using awk

Hi folks, awk 'NR==FNR {m=$0; next} $1 in m{$0=m} {print}' file2 file1 Works a charm for a vlookup type query, sourced from https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/215998-vlookup-using-awk.html However my column content has white spaces and numbers. Example file1 The Man... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pshields1984
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vlookup in Linux

Hello Everybody I am looking for vlookup like functionality in Linux since two files I have are very big(1000MB each) and its not opening completely in excel. Here the requirement file1 11,12,13 16,14,12 28,21,22 22,23,24 file 3 18,16,16 14,12,12 23,22,24 16,11,13 here... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vlookup using awk non similar files

I need to vlookup and check the server not found. Source file 1 server1 server2 server3 server4 server5_root server6_silver server7 server7-test server7-temp Source file 2 server1_bronze (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vlookup using Ask from specific column from two files

File1 alias:server1_00,20:f1:0a:25:b5:03:02:90 alias:server2_00,20:f1:0a:25:b5:03:02:91 alias:server3_00,50:00:09:75:50:0d:bd:da alias:server4_00,20:f1:0a:25:b5:03:02:93 alias:server5_00,21:00:00:24:ff:8b:e1:fe alias:server6_00,50:00:09:75:50:08:54:44... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional Vlookup

Hi everyone, I need to replace values of column 2 array1 with values of column 2 array2 based on a lookup of column 4 value, but only return a value IF the values in column 1 of BOTH array1 and array2 match, otherwise keep original value in column 2 of array1. Both files are tab delimited... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vlookup on 2 files - inserting vlookup command on another command

Hello, i am trying to print group name column(etc/group) on script (etc/passwd) since group name is not listed on etc/passwd columns. Im trying to do a vlookup. but i cant figure out how i can insert the vlookup command FNR==NR inside the print out command or the output. I also tried exporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joonisio
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vlookup not using awk

Hi I just want again to ask for help on what command to use to vlookup f1 group name in "/etc/group" matching f3 of it to "/etc/passwd" f4. I do need to display group name in the output of /etc/passwd without using awk or NR==FNR command. thank you while IFS=: read -r f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joonisio
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to compare two files in UNIX using similar to vlookup?

Hi, I want to compare same column in two files, if values match then display the column or display "NA". Ex : File 1 : 123 abc xyz pqr File 2: 122 aab fdf pqr fff qqq rrr (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hkoshekay
1 Replies
ucblinks(1B)                                         SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands                                         ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)