Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is wrong with this script Post 302553214 by tt1611 on Wednesday 7th of September 2011 04:42:19 AM
Old 09-07-2011
Yazu
How does this interpret in English - I am very new to UNIX

---------- Post updated at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:23 AM ----------

So are you confirming I am unable to update variables using a shell script? Otherwise this means I have to update everyone of these variables eveytime I restart my Unix box.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong with my script?

Hey guys, can someone help me with this script... #!/bin/sh dir=`pwd` for i in *.f do if then M=`wc -l < ${i} sed -e 's://.*::' < ${i} | \ (echo "//${i} -"$M ; cat - ) > $i.tmp chmod 700 $i ; mv ${i}.tmp $i ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lem2003
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with this script?

I keep getting errors messages for the "else" statement at line 81? #!/bin/ksh ######### Environment Setup ######### PATH=/gers/nurev/menu/pub/sbin:/gers/nurev/menu/pub/bin:/gers/nurev/menu/pub/mac :/gers/nurev/menu/adm/sbin:/gers/nurev/menu/adm/bin:/gers/nurev/menu/adm/mac:/ge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this script

I am trying to create a script but it is giving me errors on Cygwin for the following script. Could someone tell me, what am I doing wrong? choice=1000 echo "choice is $choice" while ; do echo "choice is $choice" echo 'Please select your option:' echo '1. Option 1' echo '2. Option 2'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg1980
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is wrong with this script?

Hi, I have this example script which gives error ": unexpected operator/operand". I need the '' brackets for operator precedence. #!/bin/ksh x="abc" y="xyz" z="123" if -a then print "yes" else print "no" fi Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rs1969
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is wrong with this script?

Hi I've made a short script but it is not working. Can some pl. help me out in this? ./123.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh # for changing to this directory cd /layered/relational/scripts When I run the above scripts, it doesn't change to the above directory. I don't what is the problem? the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Gone Wrong

Hello all, so this is a script i did for an assignement, - first option greets the user according to the time after fetching his name - second options isn't implemented - third check the performance according to how many users are using the system - creates a log of names, time and ip of the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibzee33
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's wrong on this script?

I get this error on these lines when i run this script:"for i in /home;do file2=`ls -s $i` if ;then ls - s $i fi done (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotsos13
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my script

Hi... I am fed up in file handing with array for comparing.... 1st I want save first 2 columns of file 1 I tried like this,, {getline< "file1";ln=$1; lt=$2}then I read second file's 1st and 2nd column..and saved like this and small calculation and initialization var1 =$1 var2 =$2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with my script?

Dear All The following is part of my script: echo ${myarray} mytitle=`awk '{print substr(${myarray}, 0, length(${myarray})-4)}' /dev/null` the echo ${myarray} works fine; however, I keep getting following error for the mytitle=.. part: awk: line 1: syntax error at or near { awk: line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies
update(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						      update(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
update - Process pending events and idle callbacks SYNOPSIS
update ?idletasks? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to bring the application "up to date" by entering the event loop repeatedly until all pending events (including idle callbacks) have been processed. If the idletasks keyword is specified as an argument to the command, then no new events or errors are processed; only idle callbacks are invoked. This causes operations that are normally deferred, such as display updates and window layout calculations, to be performed imme- diately. The update idletasks command is useful in scripts where changes have been made to the application's state and you want those changes to appear on the display immediately, rather than waiting for the script to complete. Most display updates are performed as idle callbacks, so update idletasks will cause them to run. However, there are some kinds of updates that only happen in response to events, such as those triggered by window size changes; these updates will not occur in update idletasks. The update command with no options is useful in scripts where you are performing a long-running computation but you still want the applica- tion to respond to events such as user interactions; if you occasionally call update then user input will be processed during the next call to update. EXAMPLE
Run computations for about a second and then finish: set x 1000 set done 0 after 1000 set done 1 while {!$done} { # A very silly example! set x [expr {log($x) ** 2.8}] # Test to see if our time-limit has been hit. This would # also give a chance for serving network sockets and, if # the Tk package is loaded, updating a user interface. update } SEE ALSO
after(3tcl), interp(3tcl) KEYWORDS
event, flush, handler, idle, update Tcl 7.5 update(3tcl)