Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trim empty fields in a given range Post 302552480 by cue on Saturday 3rd of September 2011 09:00:24 PM
Old 09-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazu
Code:
sed -r 's/, +,/,/'

removes the first empty field and so on. I think it doesn't scale for your real needs. Try to reformulate your problem.
Well, I took your advice and tried something different (and messy), an awk script. so, for example to remove blanks between 2 and 105 i would type
Code:
./script.awk Inputfile.csv 2 105

It works but at the end of the output I want it also spits out

Code:
awk: cannot open 2 (No such file or directory)

why is it trying to open it as a file? I just want it as an argument/parameter to the script, is there a way to avoid this? The script is below

Code:
#!/usr/bin/awk -f
BEGIN { FS = ","}
FNR>1 {for (i = 1; i < ARGV[2]; i++) printf $i","; 
 for (i = ARGV[2]; i <= ARGV[3] ; i++) if ($i!="") printf $i",";
 for (i = ARGV[3]+1; i <= NF; i++) printf $i","; print ""}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting fields and doing trim in awk

hi, I have this code: #!/usr/bin/ksh #SERVICES gzcat *SERVICES* | awk ' { SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=substr($0,1,20) SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=trim(SUBSCRIBERNUMBER) SERVICECODE=substr($0,22,61) SERVICECODE=trim(SERVICECODE) STARTDD=substr($0,63,72) STARTDD=trim(STARTDD) STARTDT=substr($0,74,81)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naoseionome
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to replace empty fields with the latest nonempty field

Hi suppose I have a csv file like this count,1977,1978,1979 usa, , , blue japan, red, yellow,green india, , yellow,blue china, blue, yellow, green I want the output to be(replace everything, including empty data, with the most recent data): ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting non empty fields and calculating with that number

Hello all, I have a problem with a skript of mine: My input has the following format 1,33296 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000018629" 0 1,33296 0 0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000029014" 0 0,907392 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000016905" 0,907392 0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000053370" 0 0... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk ignores fields with only spaces or empty

Hi, Does any one know how to avoid the scenario where awk ignores the fields having only spaces or empty fields? for instance, Data: "a","b","c","d",""," " code: awk -F, '{ print NF }' File the output I get is 4 instead of 6 do you know how to avoid this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print range of fields

Hi file.in and file.out are in csv format. the code I have now is, cat file.in | awk -F"," '!($1$2$3$4$5$6$7$8 in a){a;print $0}' > file.out Here, I am printing entire line using $0. however, I want to print $1 to $150 and it should be in csv format. Cut -d is not good in performace.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking csv files with empty fields..!

Hi! I need to learn that how a shell script can transverse a csv file n check if any field is empty or not. means its contains two comma or space b/w commas i.e., "" or " ". can anyone help me out how I can do that.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse fixed-width columns which may include empty fields?

I am trying to selectively display several columns from a db2 query, which gives me a fixed-width output (partial output listed here): --------- -------------------------- ------------ ------ 000 0000000000198012 702 29 000 0000000000198013 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsh79
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove range of fields

I am trying to cut a range of fields in awk. The below seems to work for removing field 50, but what is the correct syntax for removing a range ($50-$62). Thank you :). awk awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{$50=""; gsub(/\t\t/,"\t")}1' test.vcf.hg19_multianno.txt > output.csv Maybe: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to identify empty fields in line

I am trying to use awk to identify and print out records in fields that are empty along with which line they are in. I hope the awk below is close, it runs but nothing results. Thank you :). awk awk -F'\t' 'FNR==NR ~ /^*$/ { print "NR is empty" }' file file 123 GOOD ID 45... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk empty fields

Hello I have a file like this a,b,c,1,2,3,d,e,f,,,,g,h,i,,,,j,k,l and using awk 'FS="'"{print $9,$10,$11}' does not work as I was hoping. I would like the empty fieds, i.e. between the two comma to be interpreted as a zero. is this possible? I would like to get f 0 0 out of the above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garethsays
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)