Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command for total number of files (and size) across subdirectories? Post 302552012 by yazu on Thursday 1st of September 2011 10:32:34 AM
Old 09-01-2011
Code:
find /dbm -name '*.ABC' | wc -l

Code:
find /dbm -name '*.ABC' | xargs ls -l | awk '{total += $5} END {print total}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in subdirectories

Hello, I am new to unix and would like to have a count of all the files in the current directory as well as all the files in a subdirectory. The command I used was ls -R | wc -l but the number returned wasn't correct. Can someone please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeverly
2 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find total size for some files?

Hi, I'm newbie to Unix. I'd like to count the total size of those files in my directory by date. For example, files on this period 05/01/08 - 05/31/08. If possible can we count by byte instead of kb. if I use $ du - ks , it will add up all files in the dir. thanks, Helen (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: helen008
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the total file size for certain files per directory

Hi, I am trying to get the total file size for certain files per directory. I am using find /DirectoryPath -name '*.dta' -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '{ print $NF ": " $5 }' > /users/cergun/My\ Documents/dtafiles.txt but this lists all the files in the directories. I need the total... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cergun
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get total size of files

as we use du - sh *.frm In This command It will show the list of files and size But I want the Total size that these files in directory with extension .frm How can we do This (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Awk and Array to get total size of files

Hello all, I need to do scripts total up the size in selected extension file for example motion.mov and segmentation.avi is in Label Media. For file info.doc and calc.xls in Label Document. I need output will be like this: count 1 Media,,2 GB count 2 Document,,4 GB My problem is,... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheikh76
16 Replies

7. Solaris

Need command to know the total size

:mad:i need command to know the total size of project in my system by Giga bit i try #du -s /*/projectname but i need total size for this project by G.B can you help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayman
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Find the total size of multiple files

If I have a number of files in a directory, for example, test.1 test.2 test.3 abc.1 abc.2 abc.3 and I need to find the total file size of all of the test.* files, I can use du -bc test.* in Linux. However, in Solaris, du does not have the -c option. What can I do in Solaris to get... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnix
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search subdirectories and find and print total files

Hi All, I have a folder name lets say path/to/folder/CUSTOMER and under this i have several folders and each of these subfolder have serveral subfolders and so on and at some point i will have a folder name called "FTP_FILES" . I need to search for these folders named "FTP_FILES and then... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX - command to count number of files in subdirectories

I have a folder named test/ and under that I have multiple directories and in each of the directory I have multiple log files. I want to know how many files exists under each sub directory. test |--quanrantine |--logfile1 |--logfile2 |--spooling |--logfile1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
4 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)