Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Modifying PATH (LINUX, Ubuntu) Post 302551563 by yazu on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 11:03:16 PM
Old 08-31-2011
.profile is executes only on login. You should logout and login. The better way is to add your changes in PATH to .bashrc - it executes every time an interactive shell (bash) starts.

PS: And I could'n read the whole post. Smilie

PSS: Just 5 cents. I have the file ".shrc" where all common commands for all shells are (like export PATH) and source this file in every specific "rc" file - .bashrc, .kshrc, and .zshrc in my case.
This User Gave Thanks to yazu For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying $PATH variable in /etc/profile

In my /etc/profile, my $PATH variable is set as follows: $PATH =/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/etc Then how do I add an additional directory to it? say /export/home/abd/rose Please advise. Thanks! Deepali (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepali
3 Replies

2. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Ubuntu samba server path

Hi, I can see a folder is mounted in my Ubuntu 8.04 machine through samba share. But, I could not find it out its actual location in the disk. If I issue the command sudo smbclient -L user its listing the folder as 'sharename' and 'type' as disk So, anyone help me how can I locate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

4. Linux

Modifying Linux in WesternDigital net disks

Hi, I am installing perl and rsnapshot on the OS of a Western Digital MyBook disk. To install perl the ./Configure command tells me that both 'tr' and 'split' are missing. I don't find them on the net. Where can I download them? Thanks. Charles. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosndup
2 Replies

5. Programming

Help with C in linux Ubuntu 12.04

I'm trying to use the sytem() to send a terminal command. I haven't been able to run the program. Can someone show me how am I suppose to write this command: (echo "#o1" > /dev/ttyUSB1). Is there a better way to use the command on the C file so that when I call the file and run it on the terminal... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hector M.
11 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Application clustering in Linux Ubuntu

Dear, Please help me to configure application clustering in linux ubuntu. Application is running apache server. Please help Jewel ---------- Post updated at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:48 PM ---------- linuxvirtualserver dot org in this link i go there's three... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel100
2 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)