Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed help - nested pattern
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed help - nested pattern Post 302551488 by shamrock on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 02:25:26 PM
Old 08-30-2011
Here's how it is done with sed...
Code:
sed '/def bikeModels/ {
   N
   /Huffy/ {
      H
      n
      /return/ {
         x
         r file2
         d
      }
   }
}' file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne-sh (not bash) question about nested loops and sed

Here's the input: alpha, numeric or alphanumeric string ("line 1 string") numeric string ("line 2 string") numeric string ("line 3 string") numeric string ("line 4 string") ... where - each numeric string is in a pattern that can be matched with RE but - there can be any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex bash/sed, variables and nested quotes

Ok, this one isn't for everybody, it's pretty tough and I've spent a good deal of time on it without figuring it out yet. Can anybody get this script to work: #!/bin/bash cq_fname="%let outputfile="/user/cq_"$1".csv";" sed "29s/.*/\"$cq_fname\"/" file1.sas >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocloud
3 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Sed, matching nested brackets and deleting

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to write a script using sed, which delete everything between curly brackets and the brackets themself. The brackets might be nested. The input-file is: aaa { bbb ccc { ddd eee } fff { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FuzzyGnome
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested sed commands

Hi, I get the following response by gphoto2 and I would like to substract the index number of the current item. In this case 3. gphoto2 --get-config /main/imgsettings/iso Label: ISO Speed Type: RADIO Current: 200 Choice: 0 100 Choice: 1 125 Choice: 2 160 Choice: 3 200 Choice: 4 250 ..... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nic2015
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed] Finding and sticking the pattern to the beginning of successive lines up to the next pattern

I have a file like below. 2018.07.01, Sunday 09:27 some text 123456789 0 21 0.06 0.07 0.00 2018.07.02, Monday 09:31 some text 123456789 1 41 0.26 0.32 0.00 09:39 some text 456789012 1 0.07 0.09 0.09 09:45 some text 932469494 1 55 0.29 0.36 0.00 16:49 some text 123456789 0 48 0.12 0.15 0.00... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: father_7
9 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZDIFF(1)