Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Add space at the end of each line in linux Post 302550957 by jayan_jay on Monday 29th of August 2011 02:38:57 AM
Old 08-29-2011
Code:
$ awk '{print $0" "}' inputfile

This User Gave Thanks to jayan_jay For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to see space, tab, end of the line chracters

what can I use ?? In vi, I can use :set list <-- and see end of line $.. or use cat -A but I am wondering if there is command or program that allows me to see all the hidden characters( space, tab and etc) Please help thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can I read the space in the end of line

cat file1|while read i do echo "$i"|wc done with this command the space in the end of the line not considered how can solve that for example: read h "hgyr " echo "$h"|wc 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ehab
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space to the end of a line with sed

Im trying to add 5 blank spaces to the end of each line in a file in a sed script. I can figure out who o put the spaces pretty much anywhere else but at the end. thanks Karl (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlanderson
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a space at end of file

Hi I guess this is very simple.... I want to add a space at the last line in a file. The space has to be the last charachter on the last line, not at a new line. Anyone ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: disel
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace space and end-of-line

Hi ! I'm rather new with sed ... learned a lot already by googling etc ... The following script should replace all spaces and ends-of-lines with "something (see below). #!/bin/bash i=0 while read line do fam="H`printf "%06d" $i`" echo $line | sed -e 's//\t'$fam'\n/g' i=$(($i+1))... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace end of line with a space

for eg: i have i/p file as: ================ i wnt to change end of line ================= my require ouput is like: i wnt to change end of line ==================== (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

NULL in between, at begining or at end of line - convert to space

How to replace null with space? I want to make each line with 80 characters. If any line contains only 5 characters and remaining is null, then i want to make it as 80 characrets where 5 is original characters and remaining 75 characters will be null.. NULL can come in between the line,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line starting from space till end.

Hi, I have a code tag, from which i have the below snippet: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=ODBC> intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=SYBASE> I want the output like: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB intelrpt.GetCMB_FB That is remove the lines starting from WHITESPACE till end. Please help. I am new to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

my shell now adds extra space at end of each line!

Hi, Since today, with csh or tcsh, if I do 'ls files* > list', every lines end with an extra space! What happenned? What can I do to go back when there was no extra space? If I change to bash, there's no extra space. Thanks, Patrick ---------- Post updated at 03:19 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trogne
1 Replies
MKERRLST(1)						      General Commands Manual						       MKERRLST(1)

NAME
mkerrlst - create system error file SYNOPSIS
mkerrlst [ -i inputfile ] [ -o outputfile ] DESCRIPTION
Mkerrlst(1) creates error message files in the format described by syserrlst(5). With no arguments mkerrlst creates the file /etc/syserrlst from the internal array sys_errlist. Give just the -o option mkerrlst will create the file outputfile from the internal array sys_errlist. Given just the -i option mkerrlst will create the file /etc/syserrlst from the input file inputfile. Given both -i and -o options mkerrlst will create the error message file outputfile from the strings contained in inputfile. NOTE: error messages are numbered from 0. If the error 0 does not have a message associated with it the first string in inputfile must still be present. RETURN VALUE
mkerrlst exits with status of 0 if no errors are encountered. If errors do occur an error message is printed on stderr and the exit status is 1. ERRORS
mkerrlst(1) can encounter any of the errors for the open(2), lseek(2), read(2), or write(2) system calls. SEE ALSO
syserrlst(3) syserrlst(5) HISTORY
mkerrlst(1), first appeared in 2.11BSD. BUGS
Error messages can be a maximum of 80 characters. 3rd Berkeley Distribution March 14, 1996 MKERRLST(1)