Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu How to install Ubuntu11 in external Hard drive Post 302550550 by atul9806 on Friday 26th of August 2011 05:22:14 AM
Old 08-26-2011
Hi Buddy,
I am not want to boot it from USB as a LIVE OS , I want to install it on my portable hard disk partition.
Thanks for your suggestion

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing directories of an external hard drive

How do I do it? I have a mac and a pc and am having a time cd-ing to the external drive. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theGooch
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External SCSI hard drive

Someone gave me a small external SCSI hard drive for my SunOS 5.8 test system. How do I make Unix see the hard drive? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to install Linux on an external 320 gigabyte hard drive

Hi all, I would to know if I can install Linux on an external 320 gigabyte hard drive..I have Windows XP on my internal hard drive which is 80 GB , but this installation on 320 external HDD is for testing purpose If it is possible to install Linux on the external drive, will it cause any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
5 Replies

4. Ubuntu

External Hard drive won't mount

i have a Simple Tech hard drive that i use between two computers. it is formatted to ntfs. i have a dell desktop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP Home. and i have a laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04. the laptop recognizes the hard drive on both 8.04 and 7.10 but my desktop... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
9 Replies

5. HP-UX

Mounting an external parallel hard drive

Can anyone please walk me through how to mount an external parallel (or scsi) hard drive in visualize C3000 machine? I also would like to mount "/var/sallie" directory in that external drive. My "/var/sallie" directory is running out of space so I would like to mount an external hard drive so that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallysallie
0 Replies

6. Solaris

USB External Hard Drive for Solaris 10 Sparc

Hi- I would like to know if anyone has used any USB External Hard Drive, about 500/750GB or 1TB, with any of the Solaris 10 "SPARC" systems. Not on intel nor amd platform. I'm looking for the compatible drive and found a few listed on Sun solaris ready page, but I'd like to have inputs from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agfa_109
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Connect an External SCSI Hard Drive to Ultra 80

Guys, I have googled and checked this forum in detail and couldn't find any satisfactory answers for my problem. I am trying to connect a external SCSI hard Drive(Sea Gate) to a Ultra 80. I connected it powered it up and at OK prompt did : boot -r system comes up and complains about not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot Solaris off of an old external hard drive

Hi Folks, First a little background, I am working on a ship that operates in the Indian Ocean and Persian/Arabian gulf area. We had a Sunblade 2000 that finally died. The Video board burned up and I guess damaged the mother board. So we ordered 2 rebuilt 2000s one as a spare. Due to mounting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sean.kelly
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX and booting from External Hard Drive

Hello I have a new project being kicked off next month and i should learn UNIX fast. I have never used UNIX before so i have the following questions: 1) Is any UNIX free to install? 2) Can i install and boot UNIX from an External Hard Drive (The system board on my laptop crashed so i took the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)