Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname... Post 302550397 by dude2cool on Thursday 25th of August 2011 03:14:25 PM
Old 08-25-2011
Hmm interesting. Thanks for sharing the solution with the rest of us :-)

Curious though, /etc/gettydefs has only baud rate etc. settings to connect to the console. Did the file have your old hostname in there? or maybe I misunderstood.
This User Gave Thanks to dude2cool For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname

Hello, I am installing redhat linux 6.2 on an intel based system. Whether i want to know any naming conventions should i follow. ie Any convention to follow to name a linux machine(To give hostname). Simillarly for domain name also. Please suggest in this regard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

looking up hostname

Using Solaris 8 (or WINXP). I am trying to look up a specific DNS hostname, but I don't know which DNS server houses that entry. How can I find the hostname? nslookup gives me the following: C:\>nslookup hostname Server: dnsserver Address: x.x.x.x *** dnsserver can't find hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Access Solaris machine over http by hostname

Hi all, I need to be able to connect to the web server enabled on my solaris box by hostname e.g. http://<hostname_of_solaris_box>. How can I achieve this? I am able to access the web server via the IP of the solaris box but not the hostname. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpillay
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

6. Linux

Findout iLO type installed in a machine

I have to write Linux script to findout what kind of ilo is been installed in the given ip address either ilo/LO100 or no device found. IP address will be given in the command line of the script. -> With out log on to the ip address, should get the ilo type installed in that machine. 1. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skmdu
1 Replies

7. SuSE

HOSTNAME not being applied

I have set up my hostname in dhcp and my dns server, but I cannot get the client to pick up the hostname that is listed for the ip. IE. 10.32.23.4 hostname should be client4 Anyone know why? It was working before and just stopped working (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I know my user@hostname ?

(8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojeezy
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to perform kickstart installation with virtual floppy image from ILO console?

HI All, I have created a kickstart file and converted into .img with below procedure to mount this as a floppy image file to supply the kickstart file during the installation time. But installation failing with unknown ks file location and other error messages. 1. Build an empty floppy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venumutyalu
3 Replies
nodename(4)							   File Formats 						       nodename(4)

NAME
nodename - local source for system name SYNOPSIS
/etc/nodename DESCRIPTION
When a machine is standalone or its IP address is configured locally, the /etc/nodename file contains the system name. By convention, the system name is the same as the hostname associated with the IP address of the primary network interface, for example, hostname.hme0. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the RPC bootparams protocol, the /etc/nodename file is not used, as the system name is delivered by the remote service. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the DHCP protocol, the /etc/nodename file is used only if the DHCP server does not provide a value for the Hostname option (DHCP standard option code 12). A system name configured in /etc/nodename should be unique within the system's name service domain in order to ensure that any network ser- vices provided by the system will operate correctly. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Syntax The syntax for nodename consists of a single line containing the system's name. For example, for a system named myhost: myhost ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), uname(1), named(1M), ypbind(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The nodename file is modified by Solaris installation and de-installation scripts. SunOS 5.10 9 Feb 2004 nodename(4)