Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: intermittent bc parse error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting intermittent bc parse error Post 302549365 by reid on Monday 22nd of August 2011 07:53:18 PM
Old 08-22-2011
Thank you both for your replies. Didn't realize the backticks were deprecated/obsolete. Still see both methods in use on so many of the examples. Love being able to come here and get quick polite accurate responses!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP Problem (Intermittent)

I am having problem with ftp not indicating any error, but my customer is complaining that their response file is not present on their machine. This only happens a couple of times a day. Is there a debugging option I can turn on to the trace the ftp command. I have a return code displayed and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob11g
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Intermittent Printer connection failure

Hi There What causes the remote printers on unix to loose its connections to the Unix server Sco 6 Version 7 When pinging the print server from unix is comes up with host not connected, but after a few moments the ping reply is positive Then we do a disable and enable of the said printer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Intermittent Connection and Samba problem

Hi all , I just installed a Solaris10 on x86 machine , running on vmware . I was able to telnet from my local machine to the solaris ( the one running on the vmware) , but the connection was pretty slow and intermittent . Is there any setting that I should customize to ensure the telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: osca7578
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Intermittent internet connectivity

Hello, I am a relative UNIX newbie and we are unable to get out to the internet past the router. I can ping everything within the network but can't get out on a consistent basis. The UNIX DBA was let go recently and I have had to step in and assume his duties. Unfortunately, I am not quite... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: judo42
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Intermittent Network Issue

I have some issues to look at to do with reported network problems. We have had reports of intermittent connection issue between 2 servers when trying to access an Oracle Dbase. And I have been asked to check the hardware to see if it's a server issue or not. I have done some basic checks using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andyp2704
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bc giving error: (standard_in) 2: parse error

Below part of script, is working fine sometimes and gives error sometime. I am doing float operations, checking if x > y. ##########CODE########## THRESHOLD="1.25" ratio=$( echo "scale=2; ${prev}/${current}" | bc ) if ; then split_date=`echo ${line} | cut -d, -f2` fi ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishma71
9 Replies

7. AIX

RSH intermittent error rshd: 0826-813 Permission is denied.

I am getting an error from one node in a set with RSH setup between them, node one will connect to node two every other time (consistently), however node to connects to node one every time without problem. Here is what I am seeing, makes no sense to me. Can anyone help? sbhcprdb01<root>: rsh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JodyTek
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Help with intermittent ping issue

We recently stood up a new server running HP-UX 11.31. Every time we do a restart we lose connectivity to the server. Can't ping in or out. I did some troubleshooting and the problem gets resolved temporarily(can ping in and out and putty to it) when we disconnect the network cable and reconnect... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DtbCollumb
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Intermittent NFS server

Hello everybody! I have a HP rx-5670 box with HP-UX 11i version 1.6 installed on it. I also have a NetApp FAS 250 working as a NFS server. I installed oracle 9i engine in my HP box while the database on the FAS 250. During these few months, my oracle server randomly got offline due to weird... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jembalang
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Intermittent "cp: cannot stat" error with nested loop

I have a bash script that has been running (on SUSE 9.3) dozens of times over the past couple of years without error. Recently it has been hitting intermittent “cp: cannot stat FILE: No such file or directory” errors. The script has nested loops that continuously process files in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcart
2 Replies
FREE(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - display information about free and used memory on the system SYNOPSIS
free [-b|-k|-m|-g] [-l] [-o] [-t] [-s delay ] [-c count ] DESCRIPTION
free(1) displays the total amount of free and used physical memory and swap space in the system, as well as the buffers and cache consumed by the kernel. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of free(1) does not require any options. The output, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the follow- ing flags: -b, --bytes Display output in bytes. -k, --kb Display output in kilobytes (KB). This is the default. -m, --mb Display output in megabytes (MB). -g, --gb Display output in gigabytes (GB). -l, --lowhigh Display detailed information about low vs. high memory usage. -o, --old Use old format. Specifically, do not display -/+ buffers/cache. -t, --total Display total summary for physical memory + swap space. -c n, --count=n Display statistics n times, then exit. Used in conjunction with the -s flag. Default is to display only once, unless -s was speci- fied, in which case default is to repeat until interrupted. -s n, --repeat=n Repeat, pausing every n seconds in-between. -V, --version Display version information and exit. --help Display usage information and exit FILES
/proc/meminfo -- memory information SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), vmstat(1) AUTHORS
Written by Robert Love. The procps package is maintained by Rik van Riel and Robert Love and was created by Michael Johnson. Send bug reports to <procps-list@redhat.com>. Linux 18 Nov 2002 FREE(1)