Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Discrepancy in finding the top memory consuming processes Post 302547500 by yazu on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 01:44:59 AM
Old 08-16-2011
Quote:
In my understanding some process should be consuming atleast 15-16 G but I am not able to find them.
No. A lot of memory is used by the kernel for cashing and buffers (it's almost free memory too). You can see this in "top" or with "free" command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Process consuming most memory

How can i find the processes that is consuming most memory? I tried TOPAS and SVMON and this didn't gave me the desired result. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shabu
1 Replies

2. AIX

Command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process

HI All, Can anyone send me a command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process. It would be lelpful if I get output something like below processname - pid - memory(in MB) - command I tried few commands from the internet but the result only give the real memory usage or pagging, I want total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
4 Replies

3. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX: Finding processes attached to shared memory

Is there some way to tell what processes are attached to a shared memory segment? We have a system on which I perform "icps -ma" and there are several segments pending deletion having numerous processes attached to them and I can't tell what processes they are. Neither the creator's pid nor last... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Warning in Top 10 cpu consuming processes

I m using following command to find top 10 cpu consuming processes. However whenever i execute the command i get following warning. What can be done to avoid it? # ps -auxf | sort -nr -k 3 | head -10 Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See /usr/share/doc/procps-3.2.7/FAQ root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script to query linux top consuming processes

Hi All, O/S: Linux 86x64 Red Hat I have a sql script that queries top consuming processes of Linux using TOP commnd. Now I need to automate this task and pass the top processes i.e., PID to the sql script through unix shell script. Could anyone please let me know how to achieve this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
2 Replies

7. AIX

Which process was consuming most memory in the Past?

Hello There are options / commands to check which process is consuming maximum memory However is there any command/mechanism which will tell us which process was consuming maximum memory in specific time interval in the past? I heard nmon report can help in this regard. is there any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the most memory consuming processes in Linux

Platform: Oracle Linux 6.4 To find the most memory consuming processes, I tried the following 2 methods 1. Method1 # ps aux | head -1 ; ps aux | sort -nk +4 | tail -7 USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 95 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

9. Programming

Memory and cache access time discrepancy

#include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<sys/time.h> #include<time.h> #include "rdtsc.h" #define SIZE 4*64*1024 int main() { unsigned long long a,b; int arr={0}; int i; register int r; a=rdtsc(); r=arr; b=rdtsc(); printf("1st element Access Cycles = %llu\n",b-a); (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhavs1985
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Top 5 cpu and Mem consuming process and files and suggestion for health check

I am middle of writing health check scripts, can you pls share commands on how I can get cpu and Mem of top consuming process info at the moment? Also can u suggest ideas on what all I can look for as a part do health check on red hat Linux server? I searched on site before posting, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varja
2 Replies
MEMSTAT(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MEMSTAT(1)

NAME
memstat - Identify what's using up virtual memory. SYNOPSIS
memstat [-w][-p PID] DESCRIPTION
memstat lists all accessible processes, executables, and shared libraries that are using up virtual memory. To get a complete list memstat has to be run as root to be able to access the data of all running processes. First, the processes are listed. An amount of memory is shown along with a process ID and the name of the executable which the process is running. The amount of memory shown does not include shared memory: it only includes memory which is private to that process. So, if a process is using a shared library like libc, the memory used to hold that library is not included. The memory used to hold the exe- cutable's text-segment is also not included, since that too is shareable. After the processes, the shared objects are listed. The amount of memory is shown along with the filename of the shared object, followed by a list of the processes using the shared object. The memory is listed as the total amount of memory allocated to this object throughout the whole namespace. In brackets also the amount that is really shared is listed. Finally, a grand total is shown. Note that this program shows the amount of virtual (not real) memory used by the various items. memstat gets its input from the /proc filesystem. This must be compiled into your kernel and mounted for memstat to work. The pathnames shown next to the shared objects are determined by scanning the disk. memstat uses a configuration file, /etc/memstat.conf, to determine which directories to scan. This file should include all the major bin and lib directories in your system, as well as the /dev directory. If you run an executable which is not in one of these directories, it will be listed by memstat as ``[0dev]:<inode>''. Options The -w switch causes a wide printout: lines are not truncated at 80 columns. The -p switch causes memstat to only print data gathered from looking at the process with the gicen PID. NOTES
These reports are intended to help identify programs that are using an excessive amount of memory, and to reduce overall memory waste. FILES
/etc/memstat.conf /proc/*/maps SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1), vmstat(8), lsof(8), /usr/share/doc/memstat/memstat-tutorial.txt.gz BUGS
memstat ignores all devices that just map main memory, though this may cause memstat to ignore some memory usage. Memory used by the kernel itself is not listed. AUTHOR
Originally written by Joshua Yelon <jyelon@uiuc.edu> and patched by Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@debian.org>. Taken over and rewritten by Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>. Debian 01 November 1998 MEMSTAT(1)