Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting awk array output?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting awk array output? Post 302547356 by Cowardly on Monday 15th of August 2011 10:20:12 AM
Old 08-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazu
Put this as the first statement after the second "END":
Code:
END { 
  close "sort -k4"
}

It doesn't matter what you use after - print or printf.
I've tested it with gawk, but this feature is not GNU extension so it should work.
Hmm the sort function still doesn't work how I like to see it.. But maybe it is just impossible in the current code.. Will work on it. I think I have enough info.

A different question:
On the split command, it seems that spaces are not accounted for.
For some of the fields seperated by the / the outcome should be something like: "my department". But instead I get only "my". I have done some search on this and in all occasions I see that spaces are allowed and stored/printed.. So what am I doing wrong here ?

regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

move output of awk to array

Hi experts, I have a the following awk command, awk '{print $1}' /users/jon/list4.txt. The output is 123 787 888 ... ... I want to move the output to array using shell programming. My shell is tcsh. Is it possible to move to array using shell porg? I know its possible in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash:awk output into an array

Hi, I have a file 1:apple orange:one 2:banana:two 3:cherry:3 When I do awk -F: ' { print $2 } ' file apple orange banana cherry Now, when i redirect awk output to the file it has issue with strings #!/bin/bash FILEA=file A=(`awk -F: ' { print $2 } ' $FILEA `) echo ${A} (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Awk generalized array

Generalized arrays take any type of variable(s) as subscripts, but the subscript(s) are treated as one long string expression. The use of for(a in x) on a generalized array will return all of the valid subscripts in some order, not necessarily the one you wished. How can I make it so that i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl array sorting

Hi All, I have an array in perl as @match = (201001,201002,201001,201002); I am trying to sort this array as @match = sort(@match); print "@match"; I dont see the output sorted any answers I also tried another way, but still the results are not sorted foreach my $match (sort { $a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdeepu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Pre-populating an array from system command output

So, here's a scenario that requires the same logic as what I'm working on: Suppose that you have a directory containing files named after users. For awk's purposes, the filename is a single field-- something parse-friendly, like john_smith. Now, let's say that I'd like to populate an array in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output error while loop through array

Have built this script, the output is what I needed, but NR 6 is omitted. Why? Is it an error? I am using Gawk. '{nr=$2;f = $1} END{for (i=1;i<=f;i++) if (nr != i) print i, nr }' input1.csv >output1.csvinput1.csv 1 9 3 5 4 1 7 6 8 5 10 6 output1.csv > with the missing line number 6. 6 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk assign output of array to specific field-number

With this script i want to print the output to a specific field-number . Can anybody help? awk 'NR=FNR{split(FILENAME,fn,"_");nr=$2;f = $1} END{for (i=1;i<=f;i++) print i,$fn=nr}' input_5.csv input_6.csvinput_5.csv 4 135 5 185 6 85 11 30input_6.csv 1 90 3 58 4 135 7 60 8 55 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdf
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to have output of AWK array in one line

I have this code echo $logfile | awk ' {arr++; next} END { for (i in arr) {print i} }' that gives me this output result1 result2 result3 I try to figure out how to get it like this result1 result2 result3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting output of AWK array

I need help to sort the output of an awk array Example datadata="1 blue 2 green 3 blue 4 yellow 5 blue 6 red 7 yellow 8 red 9 yellow 10 yellow 11 green 12 orange 13 black" My awk line to get output in one lineecho "$data" | awk ' {arr++; next} END { for (i in arr) { if(arr>1 )... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh : need to store the output of a awk command to a array

I have awk command : awk -F ' ' '{ print $NF }' log filename And it gives the output as below: 06:00:00 parameters: SDS (2) no no no no doc=4000000000). information: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramprabhum
6 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort - A Visitor for sorting a Tree::Simple object heirarchy SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort; # create a visitor object my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort->new(); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree is now sorted ascii-betically # set the sort function to # use a numeric comparison $visitor->setSortFunction($visitor->NUMERIC); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree is now sorted numerically # set a custom sort function $visitor->setSortFunction(sub { my ($left, $right) = @_; lc($left->getNodeValue()->{name}) cmp lc($right->getNodeValue()->{name}); }); $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree's node are now sorted appropriately DESCRIPTION
This implements a recursive multi-level sort of a Tree::Simple heirarchy. I think this deserves some more explaination, and the best way to do that is visually. Given the tree: 1 1.3 1.2 1.2.2 1.2.1 1.1 4 4.1 2 2.1 3 3.3 3.2 3.1 A normal sort would produce the following tree: 1 1.1 1.2 1.2.1 1.2.2 1.3 2 2.1 3 3.1 3.2 3.3 4 4.1 A sort using the built-in REVERSE sort function would produce the following tree: 4 4.1 3 3.3 3.2 3.1 2 2.1 1 1.3 1.2 1.2.2 1.2.1 1.1 As you can see, no node is moved up or down from it's current depth, but sorted with it's siblings. Flexible customized sorting is possible within this framework, however, this cannot be used for tree-balancing or anything as complex as that. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter" and "setSortFunction" methods to customize its behavior. includeTrunk ($boolean) Based upon the value of $boolean, this will tell the visitor to include the trunk of the tree in the sort as well. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as it's $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are sorted. This can be used to gather specific information from a more complex tree node. The filter function should accept a single argument, which is the current Tree::Simple object. setSortFunction ($sort_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as it's $sort_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. The $sort_function is used by perl's builtin "sort" routine to sort each level of the tree. The $sort_function is passed two Tree::Simple objects, and must return 1 (greater than), 0 (equal to) or -1 (less than). The sort function will override and bypass any node filters which have been applied (see "setNodeFilter" method above), they cannot be used together. Several pre-built sort functions are provided. All of these functions assume that calling "getNodeValue" on the Tree::Simple object will return a suitable sortable value. REVERSE This is the reverse of the normal sort using "cmp". NUMERIC This uses the numeric comparison operator "<=>" to sort. REVERSE_NUMERIC The reverse of the above. ALPHABETICAL This lowercases the node value before using "cmp" to sort. This results in a true alphabetical sorting. REVERSE_ALPHABETICAL The reverse of the above. If you need to implement one of these sorting routines, but need special handling of your Tree::Simple objects (such as would be done with a node filter), I suggest you read the source code and copy and modify your own sort routine. If it is requested enough I will provide this feature in future versions, but for now I am not sure there is a large need. visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. It should be noted that this is a destructive action, since the sort happens in place and does not produce a copy of the tree. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Thanks to Vitor Mori for the idea and much of the code for this Visitor. AUTHORS
Vitor Mori, <vvvv767@hotmail.com> stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Vitor Mori & Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Tree::Simple::Visitor::Sort(3pm)