Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: text manipulation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting text manipulation Post 302547305 by unlx on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 03:33:00 AM
Old 08-16-2011
Thank you very much ,both ways did the job successfully.

Last edited by unlx; 08-16-2011 at 06:15 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Manipulation.

Hi I have only ever used awk and sed for basic requirements up until now. I have had to break a log down for multiple purposes. Using awk, sed and a date script. I am left with this: (message id, time of msg attempt, message id, domain name, time of msg completion) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Icepick
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text manipulation

I am tryin to figure out how to extract interested text from file example.txt blah blah blah a: child1 blah a: child2 blah b: parent1 blah blah blah .... blah a: child21 blah a: child22 blah a: child23 blah b: parent2 this kinda text repeats .. number of children is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkishore
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with text manipulation

Hi there, I have some text files in unix format that processed by a program in windows, and when I open them with less or vi in linux, a warn for opening binary file is prompted, and as shown in vi, between every two characters there was inserted a "^@". How can I fix this. Plus, there are over... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dustinwang2003
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Manipulation

Greetings. Iīm a biologist and I donīt have mucho knowledge on Unix/Linux, but I need to use Cygwin to change some documents from a GenBank format to a FASTA format. GenBank format goes somthing like this: LOCUS NM_013964 2568 bp mRNA linear PRI 26-APR-2009... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesa1230
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[HELP] Text manipulation... [HELP]

I need to know how can I remove all word after comma on each line. Like: jjkj,iiuiui,ijlkjkij,ookoo kijljlj,jhhkj,ijijkijkj,oijkijj kjkljlkj,kjkjlkjlkj,opok,okop to jjkj, kijljlj, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: slutb3
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text manipulation help

Hello again unix.com How can I extract from a large file in format: steve@aol.com steve hawkins Location of this member is bla bla bla sun@hotmail.com Sun Ying This member is using browser bla bla bla to another text in format: steve@aol.com steve hawkins sun@hotmail.com sun ying ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Manipulation Help

Hello Unix.com, I have a text in format: john sara lee How can I make it: john:john john:john1 john:john12 john:john123 sara:sara sara:sara12 sara:sara123 and so on (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation help

Hello unix.com users, I have a ip file (line-by-line). How can I delete the ips that keep repeating by mark XXX.XXX.XXX.* ... I want to erase only the lines that keep repeating more than 2 times. Example: 1.2.3.1 1.2.3.2 1.2.3.3 I want to erase all ips blocks that are repeating by C... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text manipulation help

Hello again, I have a problem manipulating a large text document and there is no way I could edit this document by hand. Format is: Address : XXXX N 37 Ave, Hollywood, FL, 33021 Phone: XXX3190XXX Player: XXXXXX Character: Jaramillo DOB: June-14-1995 ----- Name: Alexandra Ticket... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help text manipulation

Hello Forum , I need a help about text manupulation. I have a text file and I have to manipulate this file. Let's say source.txt source.txt UNB+UNOC:3+O0013000005MAN MN RVS:91+0098006688:92+190304:2313+F004169241' UNH+8146848+DELJIT:D:96A:UN' BGM+307:::JIS_SYNCRO_FIRM+2019030423234101+9'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cemokam65
8 Replies
dragbox(1)																dragbox(1)

NAME
dragbox - Command line drag-and-drop tool for Gnome. SYNOPSIS
dragbox [-naxpu0] [--get | --list] [--name id] [item ...] DESCRIPTION
Dragbox is a tool for connecting the command line with the desktop environment. It summons a drag handle in a window when you are managing files or text in the shell, connecting the different workspaces -- desktop and command line. Dragbox can take items on the command line or from a pipe and put on its shelf. The inverse is also possible: dragged-to items can be out- put to the shell. It is possible to have more than one instance running, and put items on or get items from any of them. Right-click in the window to open a context menu or access the preferences window. Clicking an item copies it to the clipboard (files can be opened as an option). OPTIONS
-f, --file file Add file to the dragbox and report an error if it does not exist. -t, --text "snippet" Add snippet to the dragbox as text. This is needed explicitly if you want to treat an existing path as text. -n, --no-fork Do not fork after launch. This implies --write-on-exit. The program will not be able to communicate with other instances of itself. --get Query a running instance for its contents, output and exit. This respects settings affecting output format. Note that --get takes no arguments; use --name to specify which shelf to get. -m, --name name Use shelf identifier name. This can be used to have multiple dragboxes (shelves) available. --list List running instances. --window-title title Set window title to title. This will only have effect when the window is first created. Output settings -a, --write-async Output dragged-to items to standard output as they are received. -x, --write-on-exit Output contents of the dragbox to standard output at exit. -p, --paths Use absolute paths when outputing files. This is default. -u, --uris Use URIs when outputing files. -0, --null-terminate Separate dragged-in items' output with , not . This is useful together with xargs -0 The following are generic options -h, --help Displays usage information and exits. -v, --version Displays version information and exits. EXAMPLES
dragbox . file1.txt Adds the current directory and file1.txt to the currently running dragbox, or creates a new one. If file1.txt does not exist, its name is added as text. dragbox -t "Dragbox is cool" Adds a text snippet to the currently running dragbox, or creates a new one. dragbox --get -0 | xargs -0 tar cfz backup.tar.gz Get current items and pipe to xargs to create a tarball. Note that this simple command will have problems if contents include text items. dragbox --name remember . Put the current directory on a shelf called "remember" TIPS AND TRICKS
Dragging in gnome works very well, but there are some hidden tricks that can make some things easier. Pressing modifier keys can switch between different types of drags; dragging a file to nautilus normally copies it, but you can hold shift to move it, or shift-ctrl to make a symlink. You can drag from any window without activating it by holding the altgr or super key when you drag. This is often very useful. You can bring up a minimized or obscured window while dragging by hovering momentarily over it's button in the window list (in the gnome- panel) Just like minimized windows, you can switch workspaces while dragging if you hover over the workspaces switcher for a short while. If you selected something in a window and focus another window, it looks like the selection disappeared. In many cases it's still there, you can try to drag it without focusing the window (see above) Type escape while dragging to cancel the drag ACCESSING DRAGBOX
Dragbox needs an X session to run and display its shelves. However, to access dragbox shelves from non-graphical sessions, all you need is to make sure dragbox knows which X session to connect to. It might be enough to define the DISPLAY variable. AUTHOR
dragbox was written by Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik.sverdrup@gmail.com> dragbox(1)