Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using IF statements with maths where the input is not an integer Post 302546817 by yazu on Friday 12th of August 2011 08:40:33 AM
Old 08-12-2011
Try string comparison:
Code:
if [ "$input" != "0" ]; then

Last edited by yazu; 08-12-2011 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: double posting
This User Gave Thanks to yazu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Maths

Heres a script i wrote as a bit of practise. What it does is insert a line in the middle of a file. The line being $1 and the file being $2 #!/bin/bash rm tempfile touch tempfile count=1 linenum= `wc -l < $2` if then echo $1 >> $2 else even=`expr "$linenum" % 2` if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quesa
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql input file with multiple sql statements

I've got: isql -U $USERID -S $SERVER -D $DATABASE -i inputfile.sql -o outputfile.txt in inputfile I have: go sql#1 go sql#2 go sql#3 go I also tried without "go" and with";" instead which did not work SQL statements will work if I paste them directly into the script and use EOF ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - maths equation - need help

if input to the perl program is ' ( p * ((a+b) * (c+d))) + q ' it shuld give the output as ' pac + pad + pbc + pbd + q ' .can anyone suggest a way to do this ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anuj8584
7 Replies

4. Programming

How i can read a long integer from standar input and a string with as many characters as specified..

how i can read a long integer from standar input and a string with as many characters as specified in the number? i thing that i must use the read command ofcourse.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maths with variables

Hello, I'm trying to write a while loop for a decimal value in tcsh which I know can't be done. Instead I want my increments to be one order of magnitude too large and then divide it by 10 when I use the variable. However, I don't know how to divide my variable and set it as another. set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DFr0st
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if input is an integer or a floating point?

Hiii I actually intent to check the integer or floating point number input by user i.e. 23, 100, 55.25, 12.50 ..etc. However, when someone input strings or alpha character, my program has to show invalid input.!! Is there any Unix shell script syntax can help me to check ? Thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
2 Replies

7. Programming

I don't know how to replace input char with appropriate integer

Hi guys, I asked for help on programming forums and no one didn't helped me so I ask for help here. I am playing with some tasks from my book and I can't figure where did I get wrong. From the first program I get a blank screen, program won't generate 10*10 matrix. And second problem is I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple maths calculator loop.

Hi, I am trying to make a maths calculator that: 1. Prompts the user for a number. 2. Prompts the user for an operation (add, subtract, divide or multiply) 3. Prompts the user for a number. 4. Prompts the user for another operation (same as above) OR the option to get the result for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnthebaptist
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maths in shell scripts

Hi, Need help on this. I need to increment a variable by 1 but retain as 2 characters. I am using expr to do additions: NEWSERIAL=`expr $SERIAL + 1` $SERIAL can range from 01-99. After adding "1", I need the result to be 2 characters, eg: 02+1 = 03. By default expr will truncate the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vchee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the constant e to 14+ decimal places using integer maths.

Hi guys... I am loving this integer maths thing. 64 bit systems are certainly easier than 32 bit, but hey, I don't intend to leave out my fav' platform. Using one of the 'Brothers' methods, URL inside the code. #!/bin/sh # # #!/usr/local/bin/dash # e_constant.sh # Brother's formula . #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)