Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Aligning text files by max field length Post 302546568 by tukuyomi on Thursday 11th of August 2011 12:22:09 PM
Old 08-11-2011
Column can help too:
Code:
~/unix.com$ echo 'YEAR|NAME|PRODUCT_ID|ORDER_ID|CUSTOMER_ID
2001|Unix book|12354|01587|5487651484
2002|Programming|65487|6564548|654365146
2003|Airsoft Guns|6544888|548|65498
2004|Video Games|101100018|44|648
2010|Wayside Stories from wayside school|5487454|4|64645646' | column -ts'|' | sed -r 's/  ([[:alnum:]])/|\1/g'

This User Gave Thanks to tukuyomi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a Unix filepath max length

Hi Guys, Could anyone shed some light on the length of a Unix filepath max length pls ? thanks ! Wilson (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsontan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the max length of args i can pass in shell?

i have a shell script which takes several args. what is the maximum length of string i can give as argument? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilk615
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read file and remove max length

Hi all, I tried to write a shell to read huge file and eliminate max length record which is wrong generated record. But I get an error remove_sp.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `else' remove_sp.sh: line 27: ` else $LINE >> REJFILE' My shell is here: #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the max length of string

Hi all, I have a flat file of 1000 rows. I want to check the length of the 5th column. The one having the longest length , I want to set it as DEFINED PARAMETER. So later I can check others with that particular number only. Any ideas ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to increase max username length?

Hi, This is my first post to this site. So kindly forgive if I am writing in a wrong section. My query is that... I want to modify the max username length size. I guess it is 32/64 on CentOS. Now I want to change it to 128. Is there any way to do that? Thanks in advance!! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay303
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify the max username length

Hey Any one... Do u know any way I can modify the max username length in unix? I guess it is 32/64 characters by default. Suppose I want to increase it to 128. i hav tried /etc/skel but no use... How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MayureshRisbud
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aligning columns in a text file using Perl

Hi All, I am new to perl and was trying to write a simple program which will generate a text file as output.. now the output which i am getting is something like this.. ================================================================================================== Col1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text between regexps and write into files based on a field in the text

Hi, I have a huge file that has data something like shown below: huge_file.txt start regexp Name=Name1 Title=Analyst Address=Address1 Department=Finance end regexp some text some text start regexp Name=Name2 Title=Controller Address=Address2 Department=Finance end regexp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r3d3
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find max length of the field and then replace zero

hai guys, pick the 1st field and calculate max length. if suppose max length is 2, then compare the all records if <2 then add zero's prefix of the record. for ex: s.no,sname 1,djud 37,jtuhe in this max length of the 1st field is 2 right the output wil be s.no,sname 01,djud... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneelbabu.etl
6 Replies
HISTORY(5)							File Formats Manual							HISTORY(5)

NAME
history - record of current and recently expired Usenet articles DESCRIPTION
The file /var/lib/news/history keeps a record of all articles currently stored in the news system, as well as those that have been received but since expired. In a typical production environment, this file will be many megabytes. The file consists of text lines. Each line corresponds to one article. The file is normally kept sorted in the order in which articles are received, although this is not a requirement. Innd(8) appends a new line each time it files an article, and expire(8) builds a new version of the file by removing old articles and purging old entries. Each line consists of two or three fields separated by a tab, shown below as : <Message-ID> date <Message-ID> date files The Message-ID field is the value of the article's Message-ID header, including the angle brackets. The date field consists of three sub-fields separated by a tilde. All sub-fields are the text representation of the number of seconds since the epoch -- i.e., a time_t; see gettimeofday(2). The first sub-field is the article's arrival date. If copies of the article are still present then the second sub-field is either the value of the article's Expires header, or a hyphen if no expiration date was speci- fied. If an article has been expired then the second sub-field will be a hyphen. The third sub-field is the value of the article's Date header, recording when the article was posted. The files field is a set of entries separated by one or more spaces. Each entry consists of the name of the newsgroup, a slash, and the article number. This field is empty if the article has been expired. For example, an article cross-posted to comp.sources.unix and comp.sources.d that was posted on February 10, 1991 (and received three min- utes later), with an expiration date of May 5, 1991, could have a history line (broken into two lines for display) like the following: <312@litchi.foo.com> 666162000~673329600~666162180 comp.sources.unix/1104 comp.sources.d/7056 In addition to the text file, there is a dbz(3z) database associated with the file that uses the Message-ID field as a key to determine the offset in the text file where the associated line begins. For historical reasons, the key includes the trailing byte (which is not stored in the text file). HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.12, dated 1996/09/06. SEE ALSO
dbz(3z), expire(8), innd(8), news-recovery(8). HISTORY(5)