Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users what is the meaning of the nu abbreviation in vi Post 302546342 by cokedude on Thursday 11th of August 2011 03:28:18 AM
Old 08-11-2011
what is the meaning of the nu abbreviation in vi

Does anyone know what nu stands for in vi? That is so much easier to remember then number and nonumber for line numbers.

Show Line Numbers In vim Text Editor, Linux

Last edited by cokedude; 08-11-2011 at 06:00 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OEM - what does this abbreviation stand for?

Just saw this OEM abbreviation during installation of Solaris 8. I'm curious to know what the letters stand for and what OEM actually is. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanu77
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use and meaning of $*

Can someone explain the use and meaning of "$*" expression. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the meaning of #*

can some one please tell the meaning of the second statement i.e n=${m#*=} i couldnt get the meaning of the #*= 1.) m="mohit=/c/main/issue" echo $m result ----------- mohit=/c/main/issue 2.) n=${m#*=} echo $n RESULT ------- /c/main/issue (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of $_

Hi, Can somebody tell the usage of "$_" cd $_ ? and ls $_ ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

abbreviation vi

hi all, i want to write a script using vi editor ...the problem is given below... Set the abbreviation for “Infosys Technologies Limited” as ITL and list it. Type ITL in the insert mode and check whether the ITL is getting substituted by “Infosys Technologies Limited” ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

^$$ meaning

Hi , Can anyone please let me know whta the follwoing piece of code for ScriptName=${0##*/} if pgrep -f "$ScriptName" | grep -v "^$$\$" ; then echo `date`": Sctipt $ScritName is already runnig" exit fi Thnx a lot in advance Please use code tags when posting data and code... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning

Please let me know the meaning for the below statements in shell scripting. 1) exit -99 -------------------------------- 2) set prgdir = `pwd` set runFlag = runFlag:FALSE ------------------------------------- 3) if (-f $prgdir/maillst.eml) then set distEmail = `cat $prgdir/maillst.eml`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/local/lib/vim/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)