Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk script creates empty line Post 302545836 by kristinu on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 04:27:42 PM
Old 08-09-2011
I do not want a blank line like that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - if field is empty, move line to new file

I have a script with this statement: /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F"" 'NR==FNR{s=$2;next}{printf "%s\"%s\"\n", $0, s}' LOOKUP.TXT finallistnew.txt >test.txt I want to include logic or an additional step that says if there is no data in field 3, move the whole line out of test.txt into an additional... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptr2be
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print last line returns empty string

hello I have a file with lines of info separated with "|" I want to amend the second field of the last line, using AWK my problem is with geting awk to return the last line this is what I am using awk 'END{ print $0 }' myFile but I get an empty result I tried the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TasosARISFC
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection creates empty file

I'm using a script that does some modifications to data on disc and updates the database. The script (perl) uses STDOUT so the results are printed to the screen. I don't have permissions to modify the script. I want to capture the results in a file so I can see if errors occurred and also keep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: surib
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :quick question removing empty line.

How to write in awk to remove lines starting with "#" and then process the file: This is not working: cat file|awk '{if ($0 ~ /^#/) $0="";print NF>0}' When I just give cat file|awk '{if ($0 ~ /^#/) $0="";print }' it prints the blank lines . I don't wnat the blank lines along with the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to remove duplicate line if field is empty

Hi all, I've got a file that has 12 fields. I've merged 2 files and there will be some duplicates in the following: FILE: 1. ABC, 12345, TEST1, BILLING, GV, 20/10/2012, C, 8, 100, AA, TT, 100 2. ABC, 12345, TEST1, BILLING, GV, 20/10/2012, C, 8, 100, AA, TT, (EMPTY) 3. CDC, 54321, TEST3,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugar
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

@ typing creates new line

Dear Concern, Please go through the article https://www.unix.com/hp-ux/134072-typing-sign-creates-new-line.html As per the article, we need to initiate below commands. But after creating new session, we face same problem. Please advise. stty intr "^c" stty kill "^u" Please find below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to identify empty fields in line

I am trying to use awk to identify and print out records in fields that are empty along with which line they are in. I hope the awk below is close, it runs but nothing results. Thank you :). awk awk -F'\t' 'FNR==NR ~ /^*$/ { print "NR is empty" }' file file 123 GOOD ID 45... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)