Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Write permission for USB device Post 302545265 by neutronscott on Sunday 7th of August 2011 11:00:56 PM
Old 08-08-2011
What is the device name when it is plugged in? What does 'ls -l /dev/foo' show as the group? You might want to look into udev rules assigning file permissions. First Google hit gave me this: Writing udev rules

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving scripts to usb device

How do I save a script to a pen drive? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner1
3 Replies

2. Linux

mounting usb device

Hi Folks, I want to know how to mount usb device (cd,dvd etc) in linux, Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Usb Device

AM TRYING TO CONNECT A USB EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR BACKUP,THE USB SLOT IS AVAILABLE,BUT I DONT KNOW IF IT IS READY WHEN I CONNECT IT,AND WHAT COMMANDS DO I NEED. tHANKS (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
10 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Mounting a USB device with a predetermined name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

safe removal of usb device

hi, I was wondering if there's a way to safely disconnect a usb device from computer, I ask this because in windows when you disconnect a usb pen with the safe removal, the pen light then turns off, while I tried removing the pen with solaris and the light was still on ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeware
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to Block the USB device

Hi friends, I wanna know how to block USB devices in my RedHat flavor Operating system. regards, Prakash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashkumar41
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

USB Device Identification

In linux system when a pnp usb device is plugged in then how does the system gets a notification of it? I mean to say in linux usb system there is usb host controller above which is host controller driver above which is usb core. So does the host controller/usb core keeps on polling the usb bus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ?

hi all: as we know , when usb flash disk plug in and aotu mounted , the default permission of the usb flash disk is 700. that means others have no permission . the question: how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ? thanks !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnold.king
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB device not recognised after re-connect

Hi all unixware 7.1.3 I'm afraid ! I connected a usb tape drive and it was automatically recognised in the device list (sdiconfig -l) and created devices in /dev/rmt (ctape1 etc.). I could successfully read and write to the device. Then unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar on usb device

Hi, i am developing an application on an ARM 7 architatcure with a small Linux. i want to run tar on a usb device (~10 Mb) but it runs realy slow. the command only takes 1% of cpu usage. is there a way to improve the tar command or is the USB-Connection the bottleneck here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisk
4 Replies
Device::USB::FAQ(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Device::USB::FAQ(3pm)

NAME
Device::USB::FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions for Device::USB SYNOPSIS
perldoc Device::USB::FAQ DESCRIPTION
This is an attempt to answer some of the frequently asked questions about the Device::USB module QUESTIONS
Which platforms does Device::USB support? "Device:USB" supports any platform that "libusb" supports. This list currently includes Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, and MacOS X. There is a port of the "libusb" library to the Windows environment called "LibUsb-Win32". Because I don't have a development environment for testing this library, "Device::USB" does not yet support this library. Do I have to use Device::USB as root? By default, access to the USB devices on a Unix-based system appear to be limited to the root account. This usually causes access to most of the "libusb" features to fail with a permission error. Using the "Device::USB" module as root avoids this feature, but is not very satisfying from a security standpoint. (See the next question for more options.) How do I enable use of Device::USB as a non-root user? Some of the attributes of USB devices are available to non-root users, but accessing many of the more interesting features require special privileges. According to the libusb source, the "open()" function requires either device nodes to be present or the usbfs file system to be mounted in specific locations. Those places in order are: 1) /dev/bus/usb - pre-2.6.11: via devfs / post-2.6.11: via udev 2) /proc/bus/usb - usbfs Look in both locations on your system for which of these two methods your libusb will use. No matter which method your system uses, you will probably want to create a separate group to control access. Run this command to add a system group: addgroup --system usb or groupadd --system usb You can then add users to that group to allow access to your usb devices. DEVFS / HOTPLUG TODO UDEV If you use Debian/Ubuntu, look in the /etc/udev/permissions.rules file. If you want to allow global access to all usb devices, make this change: Change this: SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664" To this: SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664", GROUP="usb" After you reboot, all usb devices will inherit the mode and group specified. If you want to only change permissions for certain devices, you can add this on one line and adjust the product and vendor IDs: SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", GROUP="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1234", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1234" USBFS The usbfs defaults to root as the user and group. This can be changed in the /etc/fstab by adding the following on one line: none /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto, listuid=0,listgid=118,listmode=0664, busuid=0,busgid=118,busmode=0775, devuid=0,devgid=118,devmode=0664 0 0 The value 118 in the above should be replaced with the group id of your usb group (created above). The list* values are to allow listing devices, the bus* is to control access to the bus directories and the dev* values control access to the device files. This approach does not allow the kind of granular permission that the udev approach gives, so it is all or nothing unless permissions are changed programmatically. If your /etc/fstab file already has a line for /proc/bus/usb, add the options above to the line that is already there rather than adding the new line. For example, you would change usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0 to usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto, listuid=0,listgid=118,listmode=0664, busuid=0,busgid=118,busmode=0775, devuid=0,devgid=118,devmode=0664 0 0 Once again, this needs to be all on one line with the "" characters removed. SEE ALSO
Device::USB and the "libusb" library site at <http://libusb.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
G. Wade Johnson (wade at anomaly dot org) Paul Archer (paul at paularcher dot org) Houston Perl Mongers Group ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Thanks go to various users who submitted questions and answers for the list. In particular, Anthony L. Awtrey who contributed the first FAQ answer. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2006 Houston Perl Mongers This document is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2006-09-03 Device::USB::FAQ(3pm)