Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: counts based on percentage
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting counts based on percentage Post 302544758 by Chubler_XL on Friday 5th of August 2011 12:26:50 AM
Old 08-05-2011
Slight improvement - ensure zero counts are printed, no need to call external sort:

Code:
awk '{a[int($2/10)]++}END{while(++i<11) print i*10-9 "-" i*10, 0+a[i-1]}' infile

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counts

How can i do a simple record count in my shell script? i just want to count the number of records i receive from a specific file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counts

To start I have a table that has ticketholders. Each ticket holder has a unique number and each ticket holder is associated to a so called household number. You can have multiple guests w/i a household. I would like to create 3 flags (form a, for a household that has 1-4 gst) form b 5-8 gsts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc -c counts 1 char more per line

Hi, this might be a basic question... why is that wc -c counts 1 more per line than what is there. for example, > cat dum1.txt 123 12 > wc -c dum1.txt 7 dum1.txt Thanks, Sameer. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ensameer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counts based on occurances

Hi, I have a file with 2500 entries. There are many duplicates,triplicates symbols in my file in the first column and the second column has categories(high/medium/low) . I want to have count for the occurances of each category for each unique symbol ABC high ABC high ABC medium ABC ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering lines for column elements based on corresponding counts in another column

Hi, I have a file like this ACC 2 2 21 aaa AC 443 3 22 aaa GCT 76 1 33 xxx TCG 34 2 33 aaa ACGT 33 1 22 ggg TTC 99 3 44 wee CCA 33 2 33 ggg AAC 1 3 55 ddd TTG 10 1 22 ddd TTGC 98 3 22 ddd GCT 23 1 21 sds GTC 23 4 32 sds ACGT 32 2 33 vvv CGT 11 2 33 eee CCC 87 2 44... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polsum
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get counts from List

This is very easy , but I`m struggling .. please help modify my script, I want to count the number of h and n , from the second column group by the first. The second column is binary, can only have h and n. a h a h a n a n a h b h b h b h b h b h c n c h c h c h c h (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different counts between programs and commands

In the attached file if I do a count for "aaaaaaaaaaaa" in either notepad++ or excel I get 118,456. However, when I do either grep -o aaaaaaaaaaaa 12A.txt | wc -w or awk '{ for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) if ( $i == "aaaaaaaaaaaa") c++ } END{ print c}' 12A.txt I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Capture PRSTAT based on CPU usage percentage

Hi, Recently i have write a simple script to capture CPU high usage based on prstat but i found out that it did capture correctly. I need to capture the rows that contains CPU usage more than 3%. Below line which i thought will capture CPU usage based CPU column in prstat(9th parameter) which is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tharmendran
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)