Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep pipe filename print issue Post 302544196 by radoulov on Wednesday 3rd of August 2011 07:06:53 AM
Old 08-03-2011
Are those strings (Owner and Aug 3) on the same line?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using grep and print filename

Hi, I have a question on bash. Basically I would like to print a file name using bash. I am actually trying to grep a particular character in sequential files. I have alot files such that a.txt, b.txt,c.txt...etc. If I found a certain character, I would print that particular filename. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

2. AIX

Removing a filename which has special characters passed from a pipe with xargs

Hi, On AIX 5200-07-00 I have a find command as following to delete files from a certain location that are more than 7 days old. I am being told that I cannot use -exec option to delete files from these directories. Having said that I am more curious to know how this can be done. an sample... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto Print File Path or Print the Filename

I'm trying to clean up my samba share and need to print the found file or print the path of the image it tried to searched for. So far I have this but can't seem to get the logic right. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? for FILE in `cat list`; do if ; then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: overkill
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename pattern match and appending pipe

Hi, I have a directory with around 100k files and files with varying sizes(10GB files to as low as 5KB). All the files are having pipe dilimited records. I need to append 7 pipes to the end of each record, in each file whose name contains _X3_ and need to append 10 pipes to the end of each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between grep .* file name and grep '.*' filename

Hi, Can anyone let me know what is difference between grep .* foo.c grep '.*' foo.c I am not able to understand what is exact difference. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pipe a filename that includes a date?

How do I pipe the output of something to a filename that includes the date, in a specific date format? Here's the goal. Output a script to a file periodically during the day: ./script.sh >>logname_yyyy-mm-dd.logAnd when the next day comes, it starts logging to a new filename because the date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use less pipe for grep or awk sed to print the line not include xx yy zz

cat file |grep -v "xx" | grep -v "yy" |grep -v "zz" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print/cut/grep/sed/ date yyyymmdd on the filename only.

I have this filename "RBD_EXTRACT_a3468_d20131118.tar.gz" and I would like print out the "yyyymmdd" only. I use this command below, but if different command like cut or print....etc. Thanks ls RBD_EXTRACT* | sed 's/.*\(........\).tar.gz$/\1/' > test.txt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space in input filename with pipe

Hello, Normally below script works, could you please comment out what could be the reason of failure if there are spaces in input filename: script.sh #!/bin/bash cd /home/hts/.hts/tvh/ file="$1 $2 $3 $4" read -d $'\x04' name < "$file" /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i ""$name"" -vcodec copy -preset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD