Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace carriage return with colon on specific column Post 302544163 by agathaeleanor on Wednesday 3rd of August 2011 05:19:34 AM
Old 08-03-2011
Replace carriage return with colon on specific column

Hi,

I have to process four source text files with possibility to contain carriage return on the particular column. Thus, i need to replace the carriage return with 3 colons <:::>

The particular column position in the source files is not fix but the name is fixed. That is, say for example, Remarks column

Sample source file 1:
Code:
col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|Remarks|col9|col10
A_1|1|2|3|4|5|6|Testing 
remarks|8|9

desire output:
Code:
col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|Remarks|col9|col10
A_1|1|2|3|4|5|6|Testing:::remarks|8|9

Sample source file 2:
Code:
col1|col2|col3|Remarks|col5|col6|col7
A_1|1|2|Another
Testing Remarks|4|5|6

desire output:
Code:
col1|col2|col3|Remarks|col5|col6|col7
A_1|1|2|Another:::Testing Remarks|4|5|6

Last edited by radoulov; 08-03-2011 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a specific word in specific column?

Hi My orginal file is like (100s of lines) id host ip location remarks 1 host1 ip1 - xxx 2 host2 ip2 - xxx 3 host3 ip3 - xxx -- -- 9 host9 ip9 - xxx I have a ref file like host1 location1 host2 location2 host3 location3 -- --... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use sed to replace whitespace with a carriage return

Greetings I need to replace "whitespace" in a file with the newline character aka carriage return My command is either wrong or not interpreted properly by me shell sed s/" "/\\n" "/g nets > nets1 or sed s/" "/\n" "/g nets > nets1 nets (input file) 13MHZ_IN... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace column data with specific word

Input file: Populus_trichocarpa 30 0 50 0 0 US Vitis_vinifera 1 18 2 8 6 US Populus_trichocarpa 1 5 100 0 0 US Arabidopsis_lyrata_subsp._lyrata 0 90 0 0 0 US Glycine_max 0 2 3 0 70 UK Desired output file: Populus_trichocarpa YES NO YES NO NO US Vitis_vinifera YES YES YES YES YES US... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column that matches specific pattern, with column data from another file

Can anyone please help with this? I have 2 files as given below. If 2nd column of file1 has pattern foo1@a, find the matching 1st column in file2 & replace 2nd column of file1 with file2's value. file1 abc_1 foo1@a .... abc_1 soo2@a ... def_2 soo2@a .... def_2 foo1@a ........ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashali
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Replace value in specific column

Hi all, I have two files with the following format: file1 BBB;33 AAA;2 CCC;5 file2 5;.;.;. 33;.;.;. The first file contain a list of code and numbers. The second file only the number. I would like to replace the corresponding code in the first column of the file1 with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g256
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace specific column command

Input file: ASD_QAW 12 A_@ AE_AQ 21 PA_123 ASDA_@ 23 ADA_AS . . Output file: ASD_QAW 12 A @ AE_AQ 21 PA 123 ASDA_@ 23 ADA AS . . Do anybody know how to just specific and replace "_" in column 3 with tab delimiter (\t)? Thanks for advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a character in a specific column in a file?

This is a file that I have test line 1 (55) ) test line 2 (45) ) I would like to change all the parens in position 1 of this file to a ); i only want to check position 1 in every line of the file. I have tried different varations of sed, but cannot seem to be able to limit it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JoeG
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a specific column with a specific value

Hi, I am looking to replacing value of a specific column of /etc/pam.d/system-auth file. My file looks like this password sufficient pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok expected result password sufficient pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu1988
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Replace Specific Column using RegEx

Have Pipe Delimited File: > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|518 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE BAXTER|3/30/2015|2233 MockingBird RD|ROW2On 3rd column where the address is located, I want to add a space after every numeric value - basically doing a "s//&\ / ": > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|5 1 8 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific column delimiter

Hi All, I have a file with a pipe delimiter. I need to replace the delimiter with html tags. I managed to get all the delimiters replaced along with first and last but the requirement is that I need to change 7th delimiter with slight change. File1: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies
ASA(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    ASA(1)

NAME
asa -- interpret carriage-control characters SYNOPSIS
asa [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The asa utility reads files sequentially, mapping FORTRAN carriage-control characters to line-printer control sequences, and writes them to the standard output. The first character of each line is interpreted as a carriage-control character. The following characters are interpreted as follows: <space> Output the rest of the line without change. 0 Output a <newline> character before printing the rest of the line. 1 Output a <formfeed> character before printing the rest of the line. + The trailing <newline> of the previous line is replaced by a <carriage-return> before printing the rest of the line. Lines beginning with characters other than the above are treated as if they begin with <space>. EXIT STATUS
The asa utility exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To view a file containing the output of a FORTRAN program: asa file To format the output of a FORTRAN program and redirect it to a line-printer: a.out | asa | lpr SEE ALSO
f77(1) STANDARDS
The asa utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') and to X/Open Commands and Utilities Issue 5 (``XCU5''). AUTHORS
J.T. Conklin, Winning Strategies, Inc. BSD
September 23, 1993 BSD