Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines Post 302543880 by krishnix on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 10:34:28 AM
Old 08-02-2011
Sorry not the mention .. "thanks for your prompt replies".

Now I am running ..
Code:
perl -ne'print unless $_{$_}++' result > result_new2

I am getting the error messge - Segmentation fault

Last edited by radoulov; 08-02-2011 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines from huge file

I have to delete 1st 7000 lines of a file which is 12GB large. As it is so large, i can't open in vi and delete these lines. Also I found one post here which gave solution using perl, but I don't have perl installed. Also some solutions were redirecting the o/p to a different file and renaming it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete semi-duplicate lines from file?

Ok here's what I'm trying to do. I need to get a listing of all the mountpoints on a system into a file, which is easy enough, just using something like "mount | awk '{print $1}'" However, on a couple of systems, they have some mount points looking like this: /stage /stand /usr /MFPIS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete duplicate lines and print to file

OK, I have read several things on how to do this, but can't make it work. I am writing this to a vi file then calling it as an awk script. So I need to search a file for duplicate lines, delete duplicate lines, then write the result to another file, say /home/accountant/files/docs/nodup ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bfurlong
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete or remove duplicate lines in a file

Hi please help me how to remove duplicate lines in any file. I have a file having huge number of lines. i want to remove selected lines in it. And also if there exists duplicate lines, I want to delete the rest & just keep one of them. Please help me with any unix commands or even fortran... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with duplicate strings based on date

Hey all, a relative bash/script newbie trying solve a problem. I've got a text file with lots of lines that I've been able to clean up and format with awk/sed/cut, but now I'd like to remove the lines with duplicate usernames based on time stamp. Here's what the data looks like 2007-11-03... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattv
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete partial duplicate lines unix

hi :) I need to delete partial duplicate lines I have this in a file sihp8027,/opt/cf20,1980182 sihp8027,/opt/oracle/10gRelIIcd,155200016 sihp8027,/opt/oracle/10gRelIIcd,155200176 sihp8027,/var/opt/ERP,10376312 and need to leave it like this: sihp8027,/opt/cf20,1980182... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|KiLLeR|S
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete duplicate lines... with a twist!

Hi, I'm sorry I'm no coder so I came here, counting on your free time and good will to beg for spoonfeeding some good code. I'll try to be quick and concise! Got file with 50k lines like this: "Heh, heh. Those darn ninjas. They're _____."*wacky The "canebrake", "timber" & "pygmy" are types... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowww
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to delete identical lines while leaving one undeleted?

Hi, I have a file as follows. file1 Hello Hi His Hi Hi Hungry hi so I want to delete identical lines while leaving one of them undeleted. So desired output will be Hello Hi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete duplicate like pattern lines

Hi I need to delete duplicate like pattern lines from a text file containing 2 duplicates only (one being subset of the other) using sed or awk preferably. Input: FM:Chicago:Development FM:Chicago:Development:Score SR:Cary:Testing:Testcases PM:Newyork:Scripting PM:Newyork:Scripting:Audit... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
6 Replies
HEAD(1) 								FSF								   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=SIZE print first SIZE bytes -n, --lines=NUMBER print first NUMBER lines instead of first 10 -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for head is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and head programs are properly installed at your site, the command info head should give you access to the complete manual. head (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 HEAD(1)