Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How do I copy or rewind *argv[] Post 302543443 by Errigour on Sunday 31st of July 2011 10:21:21 PM
Old 07-31-2011
Do you mind if I ask you another question?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please, just ask it...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

argv

I have a program which I wish to modify. It used to be run from the command line, but now I wish to change this so it can be used as a function. The program has complex argument processing so I want to pass my paramters to as if it were being called by the OS as a program. I have tried to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the function of rewind()?

What is the function of rewind()? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerkin
2 Replies

3. Programming

help for argv argc

Hi C experts, I have the following code for adding command line option for a program int main (argc, argv) int argc; char *argv; { char *mem_type; //memory type char *name; //name of the memory int addr; //address bits int data; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
5 Replies

4. Programming

Problem with fgets and rewind function ..

Hello Friends, I got stuck with fgets () & rewind() function .. Please need help.. Actually I am doing a like, The function should read lines from a txt file until the function is called.. If the data from the txt file ends then it goes to the top and then again when the function is called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_prady
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if #argv = (this OR that) then...

this is in one of my scripts... if ($#argv == 0) then echo 'blah bla' exit 0 endif I want it to be something like this... if ($#argv == 0 OR $argv >=3) echo 'blah bla' exit 0 endif so when the arguments are none, or greater than three I want this "if then" to take over. how? I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to understand cpio and no rewind tapes

SCO openserver 5r5 I only have this available to me ... To list the files... cpio -itcvB < /dev/nrct0 To copy a file out cpio -icvdBum filename < /dev/nrct0So cpio is to archive or "zip" files up?? and /dev/nrct0 is the tape drive ??? How can i list all the files inside... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaos83_2000
2 Replies

7. Programming

ARGV help in C

Hi, Can somehelp help how to list file in a dir? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
5 Replies

8. Programming

help with C, argv

when i run my program, i have a parameter, that i want to set the value to another string i am using int main(int argc, char **argv) { char my_str=argv; printf("%s",my_str); return 0; } and i get Segmentation fault ran using ./my_prog /usr/share/dict/words hello1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

O argv, argv, wherefore art thou argv?

All of my machines (various open source derivatives on x86 and amd64) store argv above the stack (at a higher memory address). I am curious to learn if any systems store argv below the stack (at a lower memory address). I am particularly interested in proprietary Unices, such as Solaris, HP-UX,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alister
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ARGV how to use it?

So i am trying to read in file readFile <GivenFile> modFile looking for a regular file under the directories in the GivenFile and print them out is my over all goal. basically I am looking for anything that looks like a directory in the given file and printing it out. Since I am trying to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squidGreen
2 Replies
QSORT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  QSORT(3)

NAME
qsort - sorts an array SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void qsort(void *base, size_t nmemb, size_t size, int(*compar)(const void *, const void *)); DESCRIPTION
The qsort() function sorts an array with nmemb elements of size size. The base argument points to the start of the array. The contents of the array are sorted in ascending order according to a comparison function pointed to by compar, which is called with two arguments that point to the objects being compared. The comparison function must return an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if the first argument is considered to be respec- tively less than, equal to, or greater than the second. If two members compare as equal, their order in the sorted array is undefined. RETURN VALUE
The qsort() function returns no value. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99. NOTES
Library routines suitable for use as the compar argument include alphasort(3) and versionsort(3). To compare C strings, the comparison function can call strcmp(3), as shown in the example below. EXAMPLE
For one example of use, see the example under bsearch(3). Another example is the following program, which sorts the strings given in its command-line arguments: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> static int cmpstringp(const void *p1, const void *p2) { /* The actual arguments to this function are "pointers to pointers to char", but strcmp(3) arguments are "pointers to char", hence the following cast plus dereference */ return strcmp(* (char * const *) p1, * (char * const *) p2); } int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int j; if (argc < 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <string>... ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } qsort(&argv[1], argc - 1, sizeof(argv[1]), cmpstringp); for (j = 1; j < argc; j++) puts(argv[j]); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
sort(1), alphasort(3), strcmp(3), versionsort(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2009-09-15 QSORT(3)