Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to combine 2 files and output the unique & difference? Post 302543315 by yazu on Saturday 30th of July 2011 11:22:42 PM
Old 07-31-2011
Where is Corona\d+ ? He surely would give the link to "Useless use of cat". Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to output the difference of two files?

Hi, I had two data file (File1, File2), each one just have one column, but two file were very big. File2 is smaller, all its data included in File1. I want to ouput the result which don't have any data in File2. Could any one give me a help on how to do that? Thanks in advance! Yun ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yxiao
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

output difference in two files

Hi, Please help me, I have two files. I need to output the difference of contents of each file in another file. For example, I need to know the content of the file1 that does not exist on file2 and vice versa. Please take note that the size of the files are large. How can I do it using unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get part of file with unique & non-unique string

I have an archive file that holds a batch of statements. I would like to be able to extract a certain statement based on the unique customer # (ie. 123456). The end for each statement is noted by "ENDSTM". I can find the line number for the beginning of the statement section with sed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference of two data files & writing to an outfile.

Hi Everyone, I have two files i.e. one file2 contains today's data and the other file1 contains Yesterday's data. The data in the files contains 226 columns and the data for the coulums separated by a Pipe "|" delimiter. Now, I have 4 Primary keys (coulumns) by which I have to compare file2 and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with date & unique output

alert.log has the entries with ORA-XXXX, .... Mon Sep 24 15:08:09 2012 WARNING: inbound connection timed out (ORA-3136) Mon Sep 24 15:08:09 2012 WARNING: inbound connection timed out (ORA-3136) Mon Sep 24 15:08:09 2012 WARNING: inbound connection timed out (ORA-3136) Mon Sep 24 15:15:01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a text in files & replacing it with unique strings

Hallo Everyone. I have to admit I'm shell scripting illiterate . I need to find certain strings in several text files and replace each of the string by unique & corresponding text. I prepared a csv file with 3 columns: <filename>;<old_pattern>;<new_pattern> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordom
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, identify common records and combine unique values into one file

Good morning all, I have a problem that is one step beyond a standard awk compare. I would like to compare three files which have several thousand records against a fourth file. All of them have a value in each row that is identical, and one value in each of those rows which may be duplicated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nashton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine splitted low & high byte files into one file

Hi all, i have a binary file splitted into 2 chunks, first part with all high bytes and the second part with all low bytes. I need to combine the two chunks into one binary file like (eg. exactly the reverse of the splitting method solved in the thread # 130940) Hi bytes file content:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzs
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference output of files

Need help on below req Compare two files and send difference of file to other file File2 is static which never changes ex: File1 A.txt B.ttx C.txt E.txt File2 A.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish1222
6 Replies
COMBINEDIFF(1)							     Man pages							    COMBINEDIFF(1)

NAME
combinediff - create a cumulative unified patch from two incremental patches SYNOPSIS
combinediff [[-p n] | [--strip-match=n]] [[-U n] | [--unified=n]] [[-d PAT] | [--drop-context=PAT]] [[-q] | [--quiet]] [[-z] | [--decompress]] [[-b] | [--ignore-space-change]] [[-B] | [--ignore-blank-lines]] [[-i] | [--ignore-case]] [[-w] | [--ignore-all-space]] [[--interpolate] | [--combine]] diff1 diff2 combinediff {[--help] | [--version]} DESCRIPTION
combinediff creates a unified diff that expresses the sum of two diffs. The diff files must be listed in the order that they are to be applied. For best results, the diffs must have at least three lines of context. Since combinediff doesn't have the advantage of being able to look at the files that are to be modified, it has stricter requirements on the input format than patch(1) does. The output of GNU diff will be okay, even with extensions, but if you intend to use a hand-edited patch it might be wise to clean up the offsets and counts using recountdiff(1) first. Note, however, that the two patches must be in strict incremental order. In other words, the second patch must be relative to the state of the original set of files after the first patch was applied. The diffs may be in context format. The output, however, will be in unified format. OPTIONS
-p n, --strip-match=n When comparing filenames, ignore the first n pathname components from both patches. (This is similar to the -p option to GNU patch(1).) -q, --quiet Quieter output. Don't emit rationale lines at the beginning of each patch. -U n, --unified=n Attempt to display n lines of context (requires at least n lines of context in both input files). (This is similar to the -U option to GNU diff(1).) -d pattern, --drop-context=PATTERN Don't display any context on files that match the shell wildcard pattern. This option can be given multiple times. Note that the interpretation of the shell wildcard pattern does not count slash characters or periods as special (in other words, no flags are given to fnmatch). This is so that "*/basename"-type patterns can be given without limiting the number of pathname components. -i, --ignore-case Consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -w, --ignore-all-space Ignore whitespace changes in patches. -b, --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of whitespace. -B, --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -z, --decompress Decompress files with extensions .gz and .bz2. --interpolate Run as "interdiff". See interdiff(1) for more information about how the behaviour is altered in this mode. --combine Run as "combinediff". This is the default. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of combinediff. BUGS
The -U option is a bit erratic: it can control the amount of context displayed for files that are modified in both patches, but not for files that only appear in one patch (which appear with the same amount of context in the output as in the input). SEE ALSO
interdiff(1) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Package maintainer patchutils 23 Jan 2009 COMBINEDIFF(1)