Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut/fgrep (UNIX utilities)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cut/fgrep (UNIX utilities) Post 302543160 by mirni on Friday 29th of July 2011 07:55:49 PM
Old 07-29-2011
Cygwin is a linux emulator for Windows. You can install it, and you'll have a terminal with some tools at your hand, cut and grep by default. More tools can be downloaded with the cygwin installer.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fgrep

Hi Guys, Can anyone explain why I'm getting error below? when I execute in other server there is no error, what could be the reason. $ fgrep -f timecell.txt ldap_prev.dat wordlist too large $ wc -l timecell.txt ldap_prev.dat 372461 timecell.txt 3722878 ldap_prev.dat Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use cut -f commant in unix

Hi all, I am desperately seeking help from you guys, on "cut -f" command. actually i want to cut a line into different parts and align column wise in the output so i use the command cut -f1,3,5 <filename> so in this case, my output should be first column<tab>third column<tab>fifth... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

fgrep fails...!?

Hi all, I need to transport a number of files from one server to other. I like to ensure the integrity using file checksum values. The action plan is, 1. create the list of checksum values for all the files using cksum command in source server. 2. Transfer all the files including the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sethu
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing softwares and utilities in unix

Greetings to Everyone, iam a new unix learner , can anyone tell me how to install softwares and utilities in unix, (comparing with windows installation) . in windows we use to install softwares like executing a "exe" file with "next,next....finish." Give me some details abt "how the setup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayq8
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FGREP question

Hi, I need fgrep to search all files in the subdirectories in /var/spool/postfix/defer/... How can I issue such a command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix file utilities

Hi experts, How can i eliminate double quotes within double quotes from a file in unix? input ==== a,""b,"",d,f,""ggh-,"",dshgdg,dhhdhhkhk,""-gh,"" output ====== a,"b,",d,f,"ggh-,",dshgdg,dhhdhhkhk,"-gh," There are somany fields like that in a file. Can anyone please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut first line in unix

Hi I need to cut the first line of a line and append it at last of the same file, when i run the script for the second time.. plz help on this.. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghulshekar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fgrep -v

Using the fgrep command with the -v option. I have two files: file1: dog 1 cat 3 bird 5 fish 7file2: dog catUsing fgrep -v file2 file1 According to the fgrep man page, the output should be bird5 fish 7 but I can't seem to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
2 Replies
GZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GZGREP(1)

NAME
gzgrep, gzegrep, gzfgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
gzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
gzgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If gzgrep is invoked as gzegrep or gzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, gzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep gzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; gzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzmore(1), gznew(1), gzforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZGREP(1)