Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adduser -> Access denied
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Adduser -> Access denied Post 302542364 by getrue on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 10:25:55 AM
Old 07-27-2011
You should check /etc/passwd file with root user.
Your startup script must be /bin/bash for ssh login.

Code:
# cat /etc/passwd | grep toto
toto:x:507:508::/home/toto:/bin/bash
#

You can use single line for adding user.
G = second group
Code:
#useradd -d /home/toto -s /bin/bash -g xxx -G yyy,zzz toto
#passwd toto

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Ftp access denied

Hello,I must share file from Linux machine to Solaris.I've enabled ftp with svcadm enable ftp,when I connect from Linux box I have this "Name (192.168.1.4:root): anonymous 331 Guest login ok,send your complete e-mail address as password Password : (I give my e-mail address) 530 Login incorrect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgf0
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

New RH User - Access Denied

Hi, We were just recently given a new VM instance with Red Hat linux. The only user account that can log in successfully is the root account. I made sure that the user z021407 has access to their directory and the account can read the home directory, but I can't log in with the new account... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
2 Replies

3. SuSE

"scp" access denied:/etc/security/access.conf

Guys i have 2 SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1 (i586) boxes.if i take a look into /etc/security/access.conf ,i see following lines at the eof # All other users should be denied to get access from all sources. #- : ALL : ALL - : myID : ALL now earlier i had written scripts where files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ak835
1 Replies

4. Solaris

root access denied

Hi, I have installed solaris 10 on my local system. i want to connect with remotely using putty. it works when i connect remotely with telnet. but when i connect using ssh. it gives access denied error. i have comment the CONSOLE=/dev/console in /etc/default/login but it still don't work Plz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
4 Replies

5. Programming

Access denied for user at localhost

Hi guys. We can can connect to mysql server from command line with some user. but when using mysql_connect() it says: access is denied for user 'someuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES) what should i do? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

6. AIX

Why access to the servers is denied?

There is one aix server, IP is 152.240.28.14, the user IP is 152.240.88.64, The user is able to get access briefly then all access is denied from the whole subnet 152.240.88.0. a short while later access is granted and the same thing happens all over again. The customer is able to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
7 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Access denied when sending mail - postfix

i have configured mail server with postfix with dovecot with no encryption: When connecting with Thunderbird imap is working fine. when sending email from another domain to this domain again it is fine. but when i want to send mail frommy domain to another it gives me error and this is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Access Denied

Hi All, I have a root access for one of the server. But, when i try to cd one particular directory i will get the access denied message. Even though that particular directory is created under root. What would be the cause for this? I really wonder if any one have answer for my... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sricharan21
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access Denied

I login to a server and get a Access Denied Prompt but I clearly lets me into the prompt with Putty. I do a sudo -s enter my password tells me Access Denied but I am clearly now Root Just wondering why this is so? what is misconfigured? I mean its not prohibiting me from anything, this is more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

X-Server access is denied on host

The situation is: I have a RHEL 7.3 VM that I am able to access via both ssh and VM console. I am able to run all of the standard commands for verifying that X11 forwarding/xhost permissions are working (xclock, nautilus, firefox, etc.) i can also run the runInstaller for Oracle client, No problems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melghaze
1 Replies
PAM_CHAUTHTOK(3)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_CHAUTHTOK(3)

NAME
pam_chauthtok - updating authentication tokens SYNOPSIS
#include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_chauthtok(pam_handle_t *pamh, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The pam_chauthtok function is used to change the authentication token for a given user (as indicated by the state associated with the handle pamh). The pamh argument is an authentication handle obtained by a prior call to pam_start(). The flags argument is the binary or of zero or more of the following values: PAM_SILENT Do not emit any messages. PAM_CHANGE_EXPIRED_AUTHTOK This argument indicates to the modules that the users authentication token (password) should only be changed if it has expired. If this argument is not passed, the application requires that all authentication tokens are to be changed. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTHTOK_ERR A module was unable to obtain the new authentication token. PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVERY_ERR A module was unable to obtain the old authentication token. PAM_AUTHTOK_LOCK_BUSY One or more of the modules was unable to change the authentication token since it is currently locked. PAM_AUTHTOK_DISABLE_AGING Authentication token aging has been disabled for at least one of the modules. PAM_PERM_DENIED Permission denied. PAM_SUCCESS The authentication token was successfully updated. PAM_TRY_AGAIN Not all of the modules were in a position to update the authentication token(s). In such a case none of the user's authentication tokens are updated. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User unknown to password service. SEE ALSO
pam_start(3), pam_authenticate(3), pam_setcred(3), pam_get_item(3), pam_strerror(3), pam(7) Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_CHAUTHTOK(3)