Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup files in tar format
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup files in tar format Post 302541753 by jim mcnamara on Monday 25th of July 2011 02:53:24 PM
Old 07-25-2011
Code:
touch -t $(date +%Y%m%d)0000 dummy
tar cvfa filename_$(date +%Y-%m-%d)  $(find /path/to/production/files -type f -newer dummy )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar backup

Hi all, I would like to append list of files to already taken tar backup file. can anybody help? last month backup : cd /accounts/11 tar -cvf monthback.tar * Now I want to add /accounts/12 to monthback.tar is it possible? Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar backup

I am trying to do a full system backup using tar. It then after maybe 12 or so hours comes up with tar: write error: unexpected EOF. I have thoroughly cleaned the drive and tried to use a different drive but it still gives me this error. Can someone help. I am on solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TMashie
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

tar backup on network

Hi all, i need to backup files on network from RHEL 4 machine tape drive is installed on solaris 10 machine and want ot use this using # tar cv /myfiles |ssh -l myuser myhost 'buffer -o /dev/rmt/0 " to backup these file but getting getting error " sh buffer not found ' even "buffer-1.19-1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajays
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup with tar

Hi friends, I am planning to backup my Solaris Servers to SAN storage using tar. Also palnning to automate the job using Crontab. Can anyone advise how to make the date change automatically everyday for backup. Pls correct me if I am wrong. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar differential backup

I am backing up some data to an NTFS formatted backup drive. I have to preserve the Unix permissions of the data being backed up and therfore use backup into a tar file. I would like to backup the differnential data in the tar file similiar to how Rsync works so as to save on backup time as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Do incremental backup without tar files up

I'm trying to do a incremental backup for a big NFS. Since space is not an issue, I don't want to compress them or end up with a big tarball for full backup( and a series of small tarballs for incremental backup). Basically I want the TAR backup/restore functionality but not TAR files up.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: overmindxp
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Extract particular folder from a .tar format files.

Hi All- I want to extract a particular folder from .tar format files. For example: File Name: backup.tar The backup.tar contains the below folders & files. 1) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-1/* 2) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-2/* 3) /root_folder/Folder2/Folder2-1/* 4)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script to split and tar files

Hi Guys, I'm very new to bash scripting. Please help me on this. I'm in need of a backup script which does the ff. 1. If a file is larger than 5GB. split it and tar the file. 2. Weekly backup file to amazon s3 using s3rsync 3. If a file is unchanged it doesn't need to copy to amazon s3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files (backup .tar)

Hi all, I have to write a script which will keep for a particular user (username is first argument) backups of the account area to another. The script should accept as the second argument is a directory (or file), create one by storing a copy of the argument (using tar) and copies it to the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter20
0 Replies
BF_TAR(1)																 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. 07/23/2007 BF_TAR(1)