Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to add extension to filename Post 302541192 by Corona688 on Friday 22nd of July 2011 05:30:39 PM
Old 07-22-2011
Code:
find ./folder -type f -exec mv '{}' '{}.mp3' ';'

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filename extension check - regular expression

How to compare the file name for "zip" or "ZIP" extension. I can put one more || condition to check the upper case in the below: if ]; then Is there any better way to compare using regular expressions. Thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: devs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

separating filename and extension

Hi (warning: newbie question), I am writing a script to run a series of tests on a program, which involves a line: for file in `ls test_suite/*.args` but later I want to send the output to file.out. But I need to separate the filename and extension somehow...Also $file contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucaspewkas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing filename extension

Hi All, i need to change the filename extension. For simplicity, we can assume that the extension after '.' is 3 characters only... but the filenames can vary. eg. changing from abc.doc to abc.dxs can i have a oneline command to achieve this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiso
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script takes the whole filename instead of just extension

I am running my script from "/abc/" this path and it has no ".csv files" but has a ".txt" files namely temp1.txt My script goes as below, wherein it is suppose to find files with *.txt extension and *.csv extension in another path namely "/abc/xyz/": #!/bin/ksh PATH1="/abc/xyz/" value="*.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolverine999
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut filename extension

I need a small script (sh) to remove in a variable the filename extension. Example: f = "testfile.txt" and I need a $a with "testfile". Some one a idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Essbaumer
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename with entire path without extension

Hi Experts, need one help.. m writing a shell script for which i need the entire path of the file but without its extension. running the below script gives error at the statement DIR = `dirname $FILE` --command not found. #!/bin/bash jar xvf *jar for FILE in `find . -name "*.class"` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicableperson
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the filename extension

Is there an easy way to strip off a filename's extension? For example, here's a filename: blahblahblah.thisisok.thisisnotok I want to get rid of .thisisnotok from the filename, so that what's left is blahblahblah.thisisok Thanks. I have a directory full of filenames that need to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH - Removing the very last character(s) extension of a filename

Hello. I would like to know how to do this in bash script : A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.0.100.40.123" NEW_WORD=remove_last_ext("A_WORD") NEW_WORD --> ABCD_EFGH.0.100.40 A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.0.50.3" NEW_WORD=remove_last_ext("A_WORD") NEW_WORD --> ABCD_EFGH.0.50 A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.3.100.50." ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get latest filename without extension

I need to write a shell script to display the output of ls command like this ls -ltr *txt I get this -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 51912704 Dec 11 10:27 /usr/local/sam/test12112012101247AM.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 7 Dec 11 11:58 /usr/local/sam/test.txt but I just need the latest... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a filename its extension

Heyas As i often have decide things upon a filename its extension, i thought i'd write a script: Just wondering if there would be a more efficent way? out="" FN=$( echo "$1" | sed s," ","",g) # Remove any spaces and make it a single string for chance in $(echo "$FN"|sed s,"\."," ",g) # Use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies
tagmp3(1)							    User manual 							 tagmp3(1)

NAME
tagmp3 - manipulate ID3v1 tags SYNOPSIS
tagmp3 [ -n ] mode [ format ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
tagmp3 allows you to set and remove ID3v1 tags from mp3 files. Additionaly move mode can be used to move mp3 files according to their ID3v1 tag. An ID3v1 tag is a chunk of extra informations such as artist name, album and genre. ID3v1 tags are displayed by most mp3 players. MODE
show show file's ID3v1 tag. set sets file's ID3v1 tag according to format. move move file to a destination based on FORMAT. del remove file's ID3v1 tag if any. list displays numeric music genres along with their meaning. -h print a (not so) short help message. -v print version and exit. OPTIONS
-n Show what will be done, don't alter any file. FORMAT STRING
The format string is a character string composed of zero or more directives: ordinary characters (not %), which are not interpreted and conversion specifications, each of which results in the corresponding ID3v1 tag field substitution. Each conversion specification is introduced by the character %. The following lines describes each conversion specification along with its associated ID3v1 field. Special sequence %% is substituted with a single %. %A Artist Name %a Album Name %t Song Title %T Track Number %y Year %g Genre %c Comments format string for set mode For set mode the format string is a list of ID3v1 fields followed by a ':' (next chars are the field value) or a '?' (ask user for field value) example: tagmp3 set "%A:Pink Floyd %a:The Wall %t? %T?" *.mp3 For each mp3 of this directory, sets the artist name to Pink Floyd and the album to The Wall. For each file ask for the title and the track number. Leave the other fields untouched. Be aware that genre field require a numeric value. Known genres can be dis- played with the list mode. format string for move mode The format string is the destination path where each field identifier is substituted with the tag value. example: tagmp3 move "/home/foo/mp3/%A/%a/%T-%t.mp3" *.mp3 with the set example above will move all mp3 to "/home/foo/mp3/Pink Floyd/The Wall/{track}-{title}.mp3" If you prefer the "flat" naming scheme, you will use something like tagmp3 move "%A-%t.mp3" *.mp3 NOTES
move mode never overwrite files. move mode creates intermediate directories specified in the format string. Each directory creation is to be confirmed by the user. ID3v2 tags are not supported so far. If a file can't be moved ( wrong file type, ID3v1 tag absent or blank field , ...) then it is left untouched. Fake mp3 (i.e. Wave file with .mp3 extension) are moved into "fake-mp3/" directory in move mode. set mode refuses to tag them since this would add noisy artifact at the end of the song. BUGS
Plenty of :) For move mode, source and destination must reside on the same file system / partition. AUTHOR
Laurent Alacoque <laureck@users.sourceforge.net> CopyLeft 2001 Bugs, patch, infos, new releases, girls, money go to : http://mpgtx.sourceforge.net/ Linux APRIL 2001 tagmp3(1)