Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $(date) or `date` difference? Post 302541152 by douknownam on Friday 22nd of July 2011 03:33:19 PM
Old 07-22-2011
$(date) or `date` difference?

I'm not new to scripting by any means, but also wouldn't consider myself far advanced either. I've noticed a lot of scripts used at my new organization uses something like this
Code:
variable=$(date)

instead of what I'm use to like
Code:
variable=`date`

Obviously there's some formatting of the date command that usually takes place, but that's just my example. Can anyone point out the difference between the two methods or is it just a preference type of thing? TIA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

date difference

Hi...I need some help with a date script. I need to allow the user to enter the month (alpha) day (int) and year (YYYY) and count the difference in number of days since Jan 1, 1952 to the users date. I've been messing with this for about 10 hours and I think I'm just making the script worse =( ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtnbaby
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date difference

Hi Can any buddy give mi a simple program or logic or command which will get difference between two dates ex:diff between 20051008 2005908 is 24hours 12 min 2 sec regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajuMBT
1 Replies

3. Linux

date difference

hi, i have 2 dates in the form: '20080315120030' and '20080310140030'. i.e. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS. i need a way of getting the difference between them using shell script. any thoughts? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference in date

Hi All! I would like to know the time difference between two dates which are in same format... $ date -r abc Thu Oct 29 09:40:37 EDT 2009 $ date Fri Oct 30 02:07:03 EDT 2009 i would like to find the diff between these two dates in hours..please help..:) Regards, Kiran (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dddkiran
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

help with the date difference

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The problem i have is that i probably make a few mistake here in the code but don't know what it is and i try to get the date difference but don't know where to add the days_in_month function 2. Relevant commands, code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a date to friday date and finding Min/Max date

Dear all, I have 2 questions. I have a file with many rows which has date of the format YYYYMMDD. 1. I need to change the date to that weeks friday date(Ex: 20120716(monday) to 20120720). Satuday/Sunday has to be changed to next week friday date too. 2. After converting the date to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date difference

HI All , i need a bash script to find the number of days between two dates . Format YYYY-MM-DD THanks, Neil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nevil
1 Replies

8. AIX

Time Difference between date and date -u

Hi Everyone, We are having an issue with date and date -u in our AIX Systems. We have checked environment variable TZ and /etc/environment and however, we could not rectify the difference. >date Thu Mar 19 22:31:40 IST 2015 >date -u Thu Mar 19 17:01:44 GMT 2015 Any clue... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between two date

Hi, I created a script for finding the duration of a job using the start and end time of the job. But the command doesnt calculate correct value if the duration is more than 24 hours. Any help would be really good . cat test1 --- start time 03/27/15 17:41:00 03/24/15 11:58:04 03/23/15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date: invalid date trying to set Linux date in specific format

i try to set linux date & time in specific format but it keep giving me error Example : date "+%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" or date +"%d-%m-%C%y %H:%M:%S" -d "19-01-2017 00:05:01" keep giving me this error : date: invalid date ‘19-01-2017 00:05:01' Please use CODE tags... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)