Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting untar .tar.gz file to a specific file Post 302540601 by dips_ag on Thursday 21st of July 2011 06:49:40 AM
Old 07-21-2011
untar .tar.gz file to a specific file

Hi,

I'll get a tarred file from a remote location in the format of .tar.gz which my program needs to un-tar it into a specific destination foler and a file

Incoming file
Code:
/local/server/source/path/remote_file.txt.tar.gz

Extracted file
Code:
/local/server/destination/path/un-tar/stage_file.txt

Command I'm using
Code:
tar -C /local/server/destination/path/un-tar -zxvf /local/server/source/path/remote_file.txt.tar.gz stage_file.txt

but that's not what is happening......the un-tarred file though gets created in path /local/server/destination/path/un-tar but with the name remote_file.txt and NOT stage_file.txt!! Is there a way out?

-dips

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unTar a specific file from remote

During tar, the command used is tar cvf - * | remsh system_name dd of=/dev/rmt/0m bs=10k To untar all, we used remsh system_name "dd if=/dev/rmt/0m ibs=10k" | tar xvf - Question? How to untar a specific file from remote? Thanks alot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar - restore only file of specific dates

hi there, anybody know if there is any efficient way of restoring only files of specific dates from a tape (with tar command)? :rolleyes: coz the tapes containing few weeks' files, but i need only files of a few days..... any kind feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advanced. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie168
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Untar a TAR file at different location

Hi, I want to UNTAR a TAR file at different location. Is it possible? My TAR file contains the files with absolute path. Malay (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar utility (untar a .tar file) on VxWorks

Hi All Can someone pls guide me if there any utility to compress file on windows & uncompress on vxworks I tried as - - compressed some folders on windows ... i created .tar ( to maintain directory structure ) and compressed to .gz format. - on VxWorks i have uncompressed it to .tar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uday_01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to untar latest tar file

I am trying to put together a script that will check for the latest file in a directory then extract it. The extraction and the scheduling I can do, but am not sure how to get it to check for the latest file. These files are uploaded every evening by an external party and the previous days files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stheologo
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

untar a tar file

how can I untar a file without extracting it? sample: file.tar to file thanks, lara (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp/untar .tar file in parallel issue

Hi Guys, I am facing a strange issue while doing parallel (using & for background) scp/untar operation from my unix box to multiple unix boxes... I am getting tar : unexpected EOF in archive error the code is as follows.,,, for i in 10 do sh -c "scp <command> ; ssh tar -xf <tar> -C... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
4 Replies

8. Solaris

HOW TO extract.tar file to specific directory..?

Hi all, In Solaris howto extract tar file to specific folder. This is what we do in Linux, but how to do the same thing in Solaris ? -tar -xzvf /tmp/etc.tar.bz -C /tmp (Will extract in /tmp dir) 3.gzip COMPRESSION AND EXTRACTION -tar -czvf /tmp/etc.tar.bz /etc -du ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Tar file in a specific Directory

I'm trying to write a Unix script that will go to a specific directory (/tmp/Sanbox/logs) and tar.gz all the log files in that directory and delete the original files that are older than 2 days. So far I have this but it doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated. #!/bin/bash ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loc
7 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. AUTHOR
Written by Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)