Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete words greater than a specific length Post 302540597 by radoulov on Thursday 21st of July 2011 06:35:49 AM
Old 07-21-2011
Those are not restricted to alpha characters though ...

Code:
grep -v '.\{19\}' infile

Code:
sed '/.\{19\}/d' infile

With awk*:

Code:
awk 'length <= 18' infile

* Using the length function without arguments is not portable.

Last edited by radoulov; 07-21-2011 at 07:45 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific files greater then 90 days

I have a directory that contains a number of history files for a process. Every file starts with the string "EVACK". FOr example EVACK0101.000001 EVACK0102.095940 EVACKmmdd.hhmiss I want to erase in the specific directory ONLY(no sub-directories) all EVACK files older then 90 days. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

length of data greater than 11

I need to get all the rows in a file, for which length of field at column 6 is greater than 11. I tried awk '{ if ($#1 >11) print $1}' filename But Iam getting some errors I tried different combinations like awk '{ if (${#$1} >11) print $1}' filename awk '{ if (${#1} >11) print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting words from fixed length files

I am very new to scripting and need to write a script that will extract the account number from a line that begins with HDR. For example, the file is as follows HDR2010072600300405505100726 00300405505 LBJ FREEWAY DALLAS TELEGRAPH ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bds052189
9 Replies

4. IP Networking

Packet Length greater than MTU

Hello, I would appreciate some help with the following. We have 3 SUN X4450 servers, each of these servers talk to each other, one is an application server the other is a database server and the third is a web server. We also have numerous workstation and ACD connections. When I snoop the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - delete words between two possible words

Hi all, I want to make an script using sed that removes everything between 'begin' (including the line that has it) and 'end1' or 'end2', not removing this line. Let me paste an 2 examples: anything before any string begin few lines of content end1 anything after anything before any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meuser
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search column and delete row if greater than value

Hi, as the title states i need to find a way to search a column for values great than 1000, and if it is, then delete that row. An example 1 7.021 6.967 116.019 4 U 6.980E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 0 0 0 2 8.292 7.908 118.063 3 U 1.440E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 821 814 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting words based on length

i need to write a bash script that recive a list of varuables kaka pele ronaldo beckham zidane messi rivaldo gerrard platini i need the program to print the longest word of the list. word in the output appears on a separate line and word order in the output is in the order Llachsicografi costs.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairpg
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of Files which are Greater then a specific date

A newbie question... I need to get a list of the Files and folders which are greater then a specific date. I want write the output to a Text file. What I know ls -lrt gives me list of all the files ordered by date. Also ls > fileName will write the results to a text file. Please help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkaif
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete the log files when the disk used% greater than 85% using df -k

Hi, I am new to Shell scripts. I have an urgent requirement to find the disk space using "df -k". from that output,I need to check the used% whether greater than 85%. if it is greater than 85% then need to delete my log files. It is very urgent please some one help me. Thanks in Advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anandbarnabas
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Greater than specific number

please let me know how to construct if then else by comparing two numbers if it is greater than 10000. I need to do some specific task executed. can you help me out in shell scripting plz. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)