Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search a regular expression and match in two (or more files) using bash Post 302540451 by TheTransporter on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 04:06:03 PM
Old 07-20-2011
still not working...
I would like to show two example output files, so that you can have a better idea of the output (see attached archive). I am new to scripting and I think that I didn't describe the problem precisely.

Thanks a lot for seeing through my problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exact match with regular expression

Hi I have a file with data arranged into columns. The first column is the chromosome name. When I use grep to subset only rows with chr1, I get chr1 but also chr10, chr11,.. How do I get only rows with chr1? grep chr1 filein > fileout head fileout chr1 59757841 chr11 108258691 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression - match 'b' that follows 'a' and is at the end of a string

Hi, I'm struggling with a regex that would match a 'b' that follows an 'a' and is at the end of a string of non-white characters. For example: Line 1: aba abab b abb aab bab baa I can find the right strings but I'm lacking knowledge of how to "discard" the bits that precede bs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

Hi all, any idea how to match the following: char*<no or any string or space> buf and char *<no or any string or space> buf i need to capture the buf characters too. currently i need two checks to cover this: #search char* <any string> buf or char *<any string> buf @noarray =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChaMeN
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression to match repeated characters

Hello All I have file which contain sample data like below - test.txt ---------------------------------------------- jambesh aaa india trxxx sdasd mentor asss light train bbblah --------------------------------------------- I want to write a regX which would print only those... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression match

I am trying to match a similar line using grep with regular expression the line is /remote/mac/pbbbb/abc/def/hij/hop/include/abc/tif/element/test/testfiles/Office.cpp:57: const OfficeType& getType().get() const; I just need to extract the bold characters using grep with regular expression.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression exact match

hi everyone suppose we have two scenario echo ABCD | grep \{4\} DATE echo SYSDATE | grep \{4\} SYSDATE i want to match the string of four length only please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular Expression to match files in Perl

Hi Everybody! I need some help with a regular expression in Perl that will match files named messages, but also files named message.1, message.2 and so on. So really I need one that will find messages and messages that might be followed by a period and a digit without matching other files like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Splitting A large File into smaller files based on recursive Regular Expression match

I will simplify the explaination a bit, I need to parse through a 87m file - I have a single text file in the form of : <NAME>house........ SOMETEXT SOMETEXT SOMETEXT . . . . </script> MORETEXT MORETEXT . . . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression match

echo 20110101 | awk '{ print match($0,/^((17||18||19||20)|)-*(|0|1)-*(|0||3)$/)) I am getting a match for the above, where as it shouldn't, as there is no hyphen in the echoed date. Another question is what is the difference between || and | in the above statement (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to search a regular expression in a line an only print the string after the match

Hello, one step in a shell script i am writing, involves Grep command to search a regular expression in a line an only print the string after the match an example line is below /logs/GRAS/LGT/applogs/lgt-2016-08-24/2016-08-24.8.log.zip:2016-08-24 19:12:48,602 ERROR... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramneekgupta91
9 Replies
ARCHPATH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ARCHPATH(1)

NAME
archpath - output arch (tla/Bazaar) archive names, with support for branches SYNOPSIS
archpath archpath branch archpath branch--version DESCRIPTION
archpath is intended to be run in an arch (tla or Bazaar) working copy. In its simplest usage, archpath with no parameters outputs the package name (archive/category--branch--version) associated with the working copy. If a parameter is given, it may either be a branch--version, in which case archpath will output a corresponding package name in the current archive and category, or a plain branch name (without '--"), in which case archpath will output a corresponding package name in the current archive and category and with the same version as the current working copy. This is useful for branching. For example, if you're using Bazaar and you want to create a branch for a new feature, you might use a com- mand like this: baz branch $(archpath) $(archpath new-feature) Or if you want to tag your current code onto a 'releases' branch as version 1.0, you might use a command like this: baz branch $(archpath) $(archpath releases--1.0) That's much easier than using 'baz tree-version' to look up the package name and manually modifying the result. AUTHOR
archpath was written by Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>. Like archpath, this manual page is released under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities ARCHPATH(1)