Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File existence
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File existence Post 302540352 by vinoth_kumar on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 11:13:19 AM
Old 07-20-2011

Thanks it works

I have another question. Declared a variable like test="../path"

Referring the variable as $test/file_name.txt

Where does the directory 'path' needs to be created in the current directory? exists but still errors and in the directory before also exists

what does .. refers to?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop for file existence

I wasn't sure if I should post it here of in the Shell Script category, but I figured it was definitely a newbie question. I'm trying to write a script that will check for the existence of a specific file (or for any files within the directory) and then take specific actions. I've removed all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hey all, I have total new with shell scripting so I don't know if what I need to do even possible, here it is...for a duration of time (say...1 hour) I need to check for the existence of a particular file, if it exists then I will invoke a java program or I will continue to check until a)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file existence

Hi, My requirement was to check the existence of a file having a specified pattern.The way i tried to achieve this was if ; then echo "File found" fi an example file having this pattern was 'ilvs_trace01.0124'. it will vary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence using ls

Hi I want to check a particular file is available or not. But i know only the pattern of that file sat AB1234*.txt.I need the latest file name and it ll be used in the script. How can i do this using ls -ltr command. Thanks, LathishSundar V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathish
2 Replies

5. AIX

check for file existence

Hello I am having a requirement like if there is no file in the directory then i need a message to pop on after the execution of the script. My script basically does for File in `ls -t $DIRECTORY | tail -1`; if there is no file the DIRECTORY then the script is simply exiting with out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

6. AIX

Check for File Existence

I have requirement where i need to search for files which start with SALESORDER and PURCHASEORDER. i need to process the files with SALESORDER first and then PURCHASEORDER. If SALESORDER files are not there i dont want to process PURCHASEORDER and i want to come out of script. I have written a code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence and increment

count=0; while read line; do ] && let count=count+1; done < file_name.txt echo echo "$count of 10 files found " echo The scenario is a follows : I have a file which contains a list of filenames present in particular directory . I am checking fo the existence of the file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file from remote server to calculate count of string existence in that file

Hi I need to parse the file of same name which exist on different servers and calculate the count of string existed in both files. Say a file abc.log exist on 2 servers. I want to search for string "test" on both files and calculate the total count of search string's existence. For... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for the file existence, if file exists it should echo the no of modified days

Hi, I am looking for a shell script with the following. 1. It should check whether a particular file exists in a location #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "xxx.txt File Exists" else echo "File Not Found" fi 2. If file exists, it should check for the modified date and run a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikeyan_mac
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hope someone can help me on this In a directory ,files are dynamically generated.I need a script to do the following if files are not received for more than 2 hours or if the received file is empty then do something How can I put that in a script.Thank you eg. in cd /dir_name the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: haadiya
13 Replies
DPNS_ACCESS(3)						      DPNS Library Functions						    DPNS_ACCESS(3)

NAME
dpns_access - check existence/accessibility of a file/directory SYNOPSIS
Under Unix: #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> #include "dpns_api.h" Under Windows/NT: #include <sys/types.h> #define R_OK 4 #define W_OK 2 #define X_OK 1 #define F_OK 0 #include "dpns_api.h" int dpns_access (const char *path, int amode); DESCRIPTION
dpns_access checks in the name server database the existence or the accessibility of the file/directory path according to the bit pattern in amode using the real user ID. path specifies the logical pathname relative to the current DPNS directory or the full DPNS pathname. amode the bit pattern is built by an OR of the constants defined in <unistd.h> under Unix or to be explicitly defined under Windows/NT: R_OK test for read permission W_OK test for write permission X_OK test for search/execute permission F_OK test for existence of the directory/file. RETURN VALUE
This routine returns 0 if the operation was successful or -1 if the operation failed. In the latter case, serrno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOENT The named file/directory does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link. EACCES Search permission is denied on a component of the path prefix or specified access to the file itself is denied. EFAULT path is a NULL pointer. ENOTDIR A component of path prefix is not a directory. EINVAL amode is invalid. ENAMETOOLONG The length of path exceeds CA_MAXPATHLEN or the length of a path component exceeds CA_MAXNAMELEN. SENOSHOST Host unknown. SENOSSERV Service unknown. SECOMERR Communication error. ENSNACT Name server is not running or is being shutdown. SEE ALSO
Castor_limits(4), dpns_chdir(3), dpns_chmod(3), dpns_stat(3), dpns_statg(3) AUTHOR
LCG Grid Deployment Team DPNS
$Date: 2011-02-18 08:03:13 +0100 (Fri, 18 Feb 2011) $ DPNS_ACCESS(3)