Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing the lines using search patterns Post 302540306 by michaelrozar17 on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 09:45:59 AM
Old 07-20-2011
Something like this..?
Code:
 awk -v usr="root" 'BEGIN{print "User:" usr} $0 ~ usr {print $1}' RS= inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing only the middle word between two patterns

How would I print the word "and" between the words "FOO" and BAR" using sed? My file has three words in it FOO and BAR. I only want the word "and". Thanks every one. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigta09
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing 10 lines above and below the search string: help needed

Hi, The below code will search a particular string(say false in this case) and return me 10 lines above and below the search string in a file. " awk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print("***********************************");print;c=a;}b{r=$ 0}' b=10 a=10 s="false" " ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalm22
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading lines from a file between two search patterns

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and is working on a script to extract lines from a log file between two time stamps using awk command. After some research I used following command: awk '/01 Oct 2011/{p=1} /10 Oct 2011/{p=0} p' test.log >> tmp.log This works fine. But now i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidtd
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing patterns

I have the following file : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 0 1 2 3 4 Write scripts to get the following outputs : A) 1 7 7 1 4 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssooraj72
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a block of lines from a file, if that block does not contain two patterns using sed

I want to process a file block by block using sed, and if that block does not contain two patterns, then that complete block has to be printed. See below for the example data. ................................server 1............................... running process 1 running... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in printing n number of lines if a search string matches in a file

Hi I have below script which is used to grep specific errors and if error string matches send an email alert. Script is working fine , however , i wish to print next 10 lines of the string match to get the details of error in the email alert Current code:- #!/bin/bash tail -Fn0 --retry... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha0785
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple patterns and remove lines from a file?

Hi, I have a file content as below. Table : PAYR Displayed fields: 15 of 15 Fixed columns: 4 List width 0999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for patterns on different lines

im using the following code to search a log for entries on two different lines: awk 'BEGIN{count=0} /'"${firstpattern}"'/,/'"${secondpattern}"'/ { print; if ($0 ~ /'"${thirdpattern}"'/){count++}; } END { print count }' data.txt firstpattern="start error log" secondpattern="i am logging the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)