Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers several command in background Post 302540032 by pludi on Tuesday 19th of July 2011 10:57:19 AM
Old 07-19-2011
You mean something like this?

Please use the search feature first.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recording command outputs in background

For example: % ls /store > list.txt % less list.txt % 1.txt % 2.txt I want to execute 'ls' in verbose and store the result in background to 'list.txt' so i dont have to execute another command just to view the contents of the 'list.txt' % ls /store > list.txt % 1.txt % 2.txt %... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jehrome_rando
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill a command I am running / then put it to background

I have a command running in the foreground (and so my term window is locked up) and I want to kill it, then resume it in the background and go home. It is creating a zip file, and the file will be written to the current directory - no std in / std out issues. How do I do this? Kill it with a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
3 Replies

3. AIX

Command executing to be in the background !

Guys I'm working to make in AIX script and I have some commands need to be excited by that script Like the below commands ... startsrc -s sshd I want that executing to be in the background of the system I do not like to see the out put of that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command in background thru script

Dear All, Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished. I have tried like below, `truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &` But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
7 Replies

6. Solaris

running command in background

hi all i am running following command ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cbn /database/backup2/rman_backup/level1 >> /database/backup2/backup_tape/level1_rman_03aug12 2>&1; i want to run it in background how can i do it in this i am generating logs for backup. the problem occurs when i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of command triggered in background

Is there any way to trigger a sequence of commands in parallel and capture their output in variables? e.g. something on the following lines x=`echo "X" &` y=`echo "Y" &` z=`echo "Z" &` so that $x, $y, and $z evaluate to X, Y and Z res. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
7 Replies

8. Linux

Not able to put ls -lR command in background

Hi All, i am trying to put ls -lRt command to run in the background but it fails. i continue to get output on screen and didnt get the command prompt right after i put the command in background. command i am using is ls -lRt & i am using bash. Can someone let me know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo ssh with command running in background

I am trying to run a command. This is one of my attempts: for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo ls /';doneThis works, and I see the directories. However, what I want to do now is start a process on the remote server such as /usr/bin/connectproc -standalonesudo /usr/bin/connectproc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)