Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with combining the ls and 'file' commands Post 302539210 by jim mcnamara on Friday 15th of July 2011 04:52:12 PM
Old 07-15-2011
Lose the -f and feed the output xargs:
Code:

ls | xargs file  > outputfile

or
Code:
file *   > outputfile

This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining elements of different commands in history

What is the correct format for a single command that would combine portions of 2 different lines in the command history? I'm using a C shell. Here's a simplified command history to clarify: 4 rm file1 5 ls -ld file2 file3 file4 6 cat file 5 With the above history, what would be the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dbyte
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining unix commands and awk program

Dear Experts I am trying to find if it is possible to combine unix commands in awk program. For example if it is possible embed rm or ls or any unix command inside the awk program and while it is reading the file besides printing be able to do some unix commands. I am thinking may be just print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining sed commands

I would like to change the lines: originalline1 originalline2 to: originalline1new originalline1newline originalline2new originalline2newline To do this, id like to combine the commands: sed 's/^/&new/g' file > newfile1 and sed '/^/ a\\ newline\\ \\ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave724001
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining commands

Hello all, I am trying to list and count all the files of a particular type in any given directory. I can use the commands separately but when I combine them they do not give an output. The command for counting the files is ls -1 | wc -l and for listing all the file of particular type say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Combining two commands.

Is there anyway to achieve "find /home -name "*.bashrc" 2>/dev/null" and "PS1="\n>"" in the same command? I just wanna add a line to the previous command to change the PS1 variable to ">". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple commands

Hi Guys, I am looking to optimze these 5 SSH lines to a single SSH to get my machine to not hang! lol! cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} top -b > util/{}.top &' >> r_query_info cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} uname -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wick3dsunny
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining two commands that use sar.

hey can anyone tell me how can i combine these two commands so that it is executed only once, but gives me both the results. IDLE=`sar 30 6 | grep Average | awk '{print $1 $5}' ` sar 30 120 | awk '{print $1" "$5}' >> mailx -m -s "$MSG" xyz@abc.com. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankur Khatri
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining resukts of ls commands

Hi, I have a directory with some XML files in it. I can use wildcards to get the list of XMLs I want say I have following XMLs in same dir Employee1.xml Employee2.xml Employee3.xml and Salary1.xml Salary2.xml Salary3.xml apart from other .txt .dat files etc I want to write a unix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combining awk commands?

I can achieve two tasks with 2 different awk commands: 1) awk -F";;WORD" '{print $2}' file | sed '/^$/d' #to find surface_word 2) awk -F"bw:|gloss:" '// {print $2}' file | sed '/\//!d; s:/*+*: + :g; s:^+::; s: *+ *$::;' #to find segmentation of surface_word Number 1) finds surface_word... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining 2 commands

Hello all, I need to send an attachment and text in the body, both in the same Email. Below are two cammand that send the required data in separate Emails. I need to combine them so that I get just 1 Email containing the attachment & text in the body. uuencode ${filename} "${file_}" |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
6 Replies
RUN-MAILCAP(1)                                                 Run Mailcap Programs                                                 RUN-MAILCAP(1)

NAME
run-mailcap, view, see, edit, compose, print - execute programs via entries in the mailcap file SYNOPSIS
run-mailcap --action=ACTION [--option[=value]] [MIME-TYPE:[ENCODING:]]FILE [...] The see, edit, compose and print versions are just aliases that default to the view, edit, compose, and print actions (respectively). DESCRIPTION
run-mailcap (or any of its aliases) will use the given action to process each mime-type/file in turn. Each file is specified as its mime- type, its encoding (e.g. compression), and filename together, separated by colons. If the mime-type is omitted, an attempt to determine the type is made by trying to match the file's extension with those in the mime.types files. If no mime-type is found, a last attempt will be done by running the file command, if available. If the encoding is omitted, it will also be determined from the file's extensions. Currently supported encodings are gzip (.gz), bzip2 (.bz2), xz (.xz), and compress (.Z). A filename of "-" can be used to mean "standard input", but then a mime-type must be specified. Both the user's files (~/.mailcap; ~/.mime.types) and the system files (/etc/mailcap; /etc/mime.types) are searched in turn for informa- tion. EXAMPLES see picture.jpg print output.ps.gz compose text/html:index.htm extract-mail-attachment msg.txt | see image/tiff:gzip:- OPTIONS All options are in the form --<opt>=<value>. --action=<action> Performs the specified action on the files. Valid actions are view, cat (uses only "copiousoutput" rules and sends output to STD- OUT) , compose, composetyped, edit and print. If no action is specified, the action will be determined by how the program was called. --debug Turns on extra information to find out what is happening. --nopager Ignores any "copiousoutput" directive and sends output to STDOUT. --norun Displays the found command without actually executing it. SECURITY
A temporary copy of the file is opened if the file name matches the Perl regular expresssion "[^[:alnum:],.:/@%^+=_-]", in order to protect from the injection of shell commands, and to make sure that the name can always be displayed in the current locale. In addition, the file is opened using its absolute path to prevent the injection of command-line arguments, for instance using file names starting with dashes. SEE ALSO
file(1) mailcap(5) mailcap.order(5) update-mime(8) AUTHOR
run-mailcap (and its aliases) was written by Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com>. COPYRIGHT
run-mailcap (and its aliases) is in the public domain (the only true "free"). Debian Project 1st Jan 2008 RUN-MAILCAP(1)